Monday, February 4, 2019

Daisy Chain QAL {Fabric Requirements}

Update 8/11/2020 -- This pattern is now available in our Etsy and Payhip shops. Please visit one of those sites to purchase the full pattern.

Welcome to the official kick-off of the Daisy Chain mystery QAL! Today I'll be talking about the fabric requirements of the quilt.


The great thing about this pattern is that it can be made with scraps or yardage; it can be made with many different fabrics or just a few -- the choice is up to you!

This quilt pattern will use a background fabric, a focal fabric, an accent fabric, and assorted fabrics (from scraps, precuts, or stash). For all quilts, you will want your accent fabric to contrast with your focal fabric. The quilts as designed do not have borders.

Update: Fabric requirements and cutting are now available only in the for-purchase pattern.

I would recommend using at least 3 different fabrics for your scrappy fabrics. You can easily use scraps, precuts, fat quarters, or stash fabrics. Each week I will have notes for those of you working from scraps, should the directions need adjusting.

As far as color choices and color theory goes, it's actually rather simple. Your background should clearly contrast with your focal fabric, accent fabric, and scrappy fabrics. Your focal fabric will be the dominant fabric of the quilt design and can be any size scale. Your accent fabric should contrast significantly with your focal fabric. Fabrics that coordinate with your focal and accent fabrics can be used as your assorted scrappy fabrics. Your focal and scrappy fabrics should have predominantly small-to-medium scale prints.

I have been working on two versions of the quilt that I'll be showing as examples. The first is a baby size version that has a cream background, an orange focal fabric, a brown accent fabric, and a variety of coordinating prints, as shown below. Notice how each one of the fabrics in the lower half of the quilt contrasts with both my background and my accent fabric.


The second quilt will be made from fabrics that I just received in my Spring 2019 Island Batik Ambassador shipment. These fabrics are from the new Flea Market line that should be in stores now or coming to stores very soon! My background will be Kona Oyster, the teal yardage will be my focal fabric, the multicolored print will be my accent fabric, and the remainder of the strip set will be my assorted scraps.


If the given quilt sizes are too small for your preference, feel free to add a border -- just remember to increase the amount of binding fabric for your quilt. I did add a border to my baby size version and it is quite lovely.

If the given quilt sizes are too large for your preference, my suggestion would be to follow the directions of the smaller sized quilt as we go along (ie. follow the throw directions instead of the twin). You can always go back and make a few extra blocks or add a border.

I'll try to add links of our featured bloggers as they post their fabric decisions, too.
-- Stephanie of Quilt'n Party is going to make a Halloween themed quilt
-- Christina of Christina's Handicrafts has a floral as her focal fabric and scraps for the remainder of her fabrics.
-- Kate of Life in Pieces has a beautiful black and red paisley as her focal fabric.
-- Gene Black is going bright and scrappy with an orange background and yellow focal fabric.
-- Gail of Quilting Gail pulled some beautiful French General fabrics.
-- Vasudha of Storied Quilts has a beautiful bright pull with a butterfly wing print.
-- Michelle of Creative Blonde also has a butterfly print featured in her quilt!
-- Pam of PamelaQuilts is also using her Island Batik stash for a baby quilt!
-- Jessica has a fun Kaffe Fassett print as her inspiration.

As a reminder, here is our schedule:

Fabric Requirements - February 4th <-- That's today!
Top Construction Part 2, Layout - May 20th
Link up/giveaways/quilt parade starts: June 3rd
Link up/giveaways/quilt parade ends: June 17th

Sharing at Linky Tuesday!

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I think I may have some fabrics that will work. How would charm squares weigh in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabric pulled and ready for the cutting instructions. I love a good mystery, thanks for hosting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 16 coordinating fat quarters (plus background). I'm sure it won't be the same as using a designated focal fabric, but do you think it would work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting and love the batiks you'll be using!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting... I have your focal fabric in lilac in my stash. I've never seen it in orange - it's gorgeously autumnal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I usually don't participate in qal's but am looking for something to work on between IB challenges. For the love of geese

    ReplyDelete
  7. The payhip link takes me to setting up my own page...cannot find any of the directions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!