Monday, March 23, 2020

Rail Fence Baby Quilt {Quilted}

My COVID quarantine is not necessarily the boon for sewing time as it seems to be for many of the people that I follow on Instagram. I still have to work full time from home, I'm trying to exercise every day (at bare minimum, taking a walk in my neighborhood), and spend some quality time with my husband. I'm definitely not sewing every day, but a little bit most days.

But I did quilt a little something this weekend. It's not bound yet, but it is at least quilted.

Back in October, I used the scraps left over from the Baseball Baby quilts that I made in 2018 (using this pattern as the base) to make this giant rail fence baby quilt.


This quilt top used up the rest of the strip sets that I had sewn for the quilts and I had enough of the white print for a border.

Saturday morning, I whip stitched some batting scraps together so that they were big enough for this quilt top; I also used two pieces of scrap flannel left over from the backings of the Hip To Be Square quilts I made last fall for the backing of this quilt.

I did simple meanders in white thread moving from the center of the quilt out to prevent puckers, bubbles, and folds -- I love backing in flannel because it slides so well on the machine, but the little bit of extra stretch it has in comparison to regular 100% quilting cotton is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to free motion quilting.

I finished this quilting in less than an hour!


Here's a closer view that shows the quilting a little better.


While I wasn't sure I had anything to use for the binding, I found some red solid that will work perfect for the binding! I'm planning to stitch this by hand -- plenty of movie-watching time to work on hand binding these days!

I hope that you are staying busy and healthy! Don't forget that all Honey, Bunny, and Doll PDF patterns are 20% off until April 16th!

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. It hasn't been a big boon for me in quilting productivity, either. I'm glad you were able to have enough time get this quilted; it looks great! Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I've got a tad more sewing time, but not much--not having the drive to and from work is really my only difference. Love this giant rail fence!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!