Friday, August 9, 2019

Magnolia Mystery Quilt {Finished Quilt}

I set a hard-stop limit on myself that I wasn't going to allow myself to start the new mystery quilt (Mosaic Mystery Quilt) until I finished my Magnolia quilt and now I have one fewer WIP on my list!


Here's the quilt post-trimming, pre-binding:



For the binding, I used a red cable print and cut it to create the stripey binding.




The grey thread was the exact right shade for the background fabric (Kona Coal) but isn't too obtrusive on the print fabrics. I bound this quilt entirely by machine and used white thread to do the final top stitching but had grey in the bobbin since it blended well on the backing fabric as well.


My quilt is slightly modified from the original pattern -- I added the sashings and cornerstones between the blocks and my quilt has the blocks running vertically rather than horizontally (however the picture above is hung the other way just because it shows the blocks better). I think the final size is similar to the original pattern.

I have made quite a few red, blue, teal, and green quilts lately!
April Showers
Good Fortune

Quilt stats:
Name: Magnolia mystery quilt
Pattern: Magnolia Mystery Quilt by Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs, modified
Fabrics: Kona Coal and scraps for piecing
Quilting: free motion quilted meanders and semi-custom quilted blocks
Size: 70" x 60"
Started: August 2017
Finished: August 2019
Future: TBD

Sharing at Brag About Your Beauties and Oh Scrap!

Also sharing at Favorite Finishes for August!

11 comments:

  1. I love it! I still have one of mine to quilt. (I was crazy and made two!) They were so much fun to make. I have picked out fabrics for the new mystery and an considering making two of it, too. ☺
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful finish! Congratulations! Now you can start this year's mystery guilt free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out wonderful! Are you doing this year's mystery? I'm not doing this one, too much going on outside of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love your Magnolia mystery quilt, Alison!!! Great binding and great mods, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Congratulations on the finish! Very smart to get one done before starting the next. Now you can concentrate on the new one while feeling VERY accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great. The binding is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it is so beautiful!! One day I will start mine. I just can't make decisions on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, lovely quilt! I think your layout looks great and the colors red + aqua are just so modern. Great binding choice too. Enjoy your finish :) xo Melanie
    www.mellmeyer.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely! I love your colors. And that backing print is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your finished quilt! Your quilting is awesome, and congrats on a wonderful finish! I can not wait to see your fabric pull for Cheryl's mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!