Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Good Fortune {Finished Quilt}

I am so happy that my version of Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune mystery quilt is now finished!


I made a scaled down version of last year's mystery quilt -- I made half as many blocks for the center of the quilt -- and then adjusted my borders slightly to fit the size of my quilt.



My mom quilted this for me on her mid-arm. She used a chrysanthemum motif for the quilting.


The backing is a red extra wide backing, I also used this fabric for the binding. I decided to hand stitch the binding on this quilt; I typically prefer to hand finish the binding on pieced borders.

My quilt is a small throw, and will likely spend most of its life in our guest room. 


Quilt stats:
Name: Good Fortune
Pattern: Good Fortune by Bonnie Hunter, modified to a throw size
Fabrics: Scraps
Quilting: Chrysanthemums, quilted by my mom
Techniques used: string piecing, stitch and flip corners, pieced borders
Size: approximately 54" square
Started: November 2018
Finished: July 2019
Future: Guest room throw

Sharing at Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursday!

16 comments:

  1. Your Good Fortune is pretty in these colors! Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colors Alison. I do love Bonnie Hunter quilts! I need to find where I have stashed that half done project. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out amazing! Love your color change! Congrats on a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is just beautiful! I bought some fabric for Good Fortune but haven't started yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a super finish! Completing any Bonnie Hunter pattern is a real accomplishment, and your GF is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabrics you used in this quilt are gorgeous and I am really impressed with your mothers quilting using the midarm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous! What a lovely quilt! You inspired me to get going on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you washed the red backing fabric first. My last two kids' quilts (both scrappy) had dye bleeds from the red scraps (and one aqua and one blue). I got the red out by using Vicki Welch's soaking method, but the aqua and blue bleeds remain in the second one. I'd hate to see your Good Fortune quilt marred by a dye bleed from the backing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt! It'll be a gorgeous addition to your guest room! If this is a scaled down version...the original quilt must have been massive!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your color choices for your version of Good Fortune, it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Alison. It is a beautiful finish. I am sure Bonnie will approve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful, love your colour choices better than the originals! Well done

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!