Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Magnolia Mystery Quilt {Quilting in Progress}

It's been over 18 months since I finished this quilt top and almost a year since I bought the backing and the binding for this quilt. It was finally time this weekend to pull this quilt out and make progress on finishing it.


One of the things I continually waffled on -- and was the main impediment to starting this quilt -- was deciding how to quilt it. I always planned on quilting it with light/medium grey thread but struggled with what motif(s) to use and if I should use an all over design or if I should do some sort of custom quilting. 

So I decided to do both.

I have quilting inside of the non-background fabric of a more custom variety and meandering throughout the grey background.


In the bearpaw/flower (whichever you see) I have a swirl with loops in the points. In the red squares, I have curved side echoes. I figured out a way to continuously quilt an individual block without thread breaks and then once I was done with a block, I would meander in the space around it until I got to the next block.

Right now, I am mostly done with the blocks and about 50% done with the quilting.


Here's a sort of askew photo of more of the quilt.


I have one full block left to quilt and all four half blocks. I have a lot of background left to quilt as well.

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. It's looking lovely, I like the red pops all over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Did you ever decide if you were going to to do this year's mystery?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!