Monday, March 11, 2019

Twirls and Stripes {Vintage Reimagined with Island Batik}

My life has been filled with a lot of strip piecing recently! Both with Unit A for the Daisy Chain QAL, and with this project!


After cutting the pieces and parts for this project, zipping together my "striped fabric" strip sets was the next step.


The HSTs went together quickly as well. I'm using two different orange fabrics and one yellow fabric for these units.


Subcutting the strip sets into blocks went slightly faster than trimming all of my HSTs, as you might have imagined.

Chain piecing all of the pinwheels was also a quick process -- here are the piles of blocks stacked together before I laid out my blocks.


Because I was able to squeeze five 8.5" squares out of each strip set (Island Batik fabrics are *actually* more than 42" wide selvage to selvage!) I do have enough blocks to do a 5x6 block arrangement for a 40" x 48" quilt and only one extra yellow pinwheel!

Here's the quilt blocks sewn into rows. Whenever possible, I like to use the "webbing" technique to put together my quilt tops. I realize now it might be worthwhile to do my own webbing tutorial, so keep your eyes out for one in the coming weeks/months. But for the time being, check out a tutorial from Bonnie Hunter.


Five seams later and I have a finished quilt top!


Now to find some backing fabric for this quilt. I'm leaning towards flannel since I will likely give it as a baby quilt but now that I don't live 5 minutes away from Joann's, I'll have to make a special trip this weekend. And after the super-shrinkage snafu that happened with the last bunch of flannel that I bought, I'm going to get an extra 1/4 yard just to be safe!

As an Island Batik Ambassador, I am provided with samples of various lines of Island Batik fabrics to use and share with you!

7 comments:

  1. What a great quilt top. It's awesome that the Island Batiks are wide enough that you were able to get enough blocks for a 5x6 layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty - so bright and cheery. I can attest to the extra wide IB fabric. I needed four 11" pieces for my last project. I was able to get it out of a single WOF cut albeit with a tiny bit of selvage included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will make such a bright, happy baby quilt! Flannel is quite appealing right now, isn't it? Fuzzy and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cute!! Would you mind if I used this idea for a H2H quilt donation, I am always on the lookout for something simple, quick but yet fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!