Friday, March 8, 2019

Orphan Block Mini Quilt {A Little Finish}

I made a mini!

This 12.5" block has been hanging around in my pile of orphan blocks since at least 2014. Yes, 2014! This block came to me as a swap block, when I participated in a monthly block swap on Flickr. (Takes me way back!)

I used many of the other blocks to make these baby quilts but this was one of the blocks whose color scheme wasn't exactly right.

I was just in the mood to do a little FMQ and burn through some batting scraps. I quilted this with white Aurifil in a meander. The backing is "vintage" Anna Maria Horner -- this is a Bubble Burst print from the Innocent Crush line.



The binding is the same bias binding that I used on my Blooming Bear Tracks quilt that I shared last week! I used purple thread to topstitch the binding.



Sometimes you need to just make something quick and simple.

Quilt Stats:
Name: Pastel Mini Quilt
Pattern: 99% sure it's Double Aster from the Quilter's Cache
Fabrics: Scraps
Quilting: meander in white 40 wt. Aurifil
Size: 12" square
Started: the block was originally made in 2014!
Finished: March 2019
Future: doll quilt or mini quilt for my sewing room

Sharing at Brag about your Beauties!

3 comments:

  1. I just got the book Walk, for machine quilting with a walking foot. These kinds of orphan blocks would be perfect for my pratice! Thanks for the idea. Cute finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed you hung on to this sweet block for as long as you did -- and then made something lovely with it. Orphan blocks get little respect in my sewing room. I tend to unsew them and use the fabric for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet finish for the block. I love the binding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!