Friday, February 22, 2019

Stars at Play {Finished Mini Quilt}

My latest mini quilt is complete! Making mini quilts was our "assignment" as Island Batik Ambassadors this month -- a fun and quick project was just the thing for me this month!


These fabrics all came in my latest Island Batik Ambassador goody box and I based my fabric pull around the mottled "peacock" accent fabric. As an Island Batik Ambassador, I am provided with samples of various lines of Island Batik fabrics to use and share with you! 


I decided to use our "in the pipeline" pattern Stars At Play in the mini quilt size for this project. I used this pattern last year to make a baby quilt! This mini is just a scaled down version of that quilt -- using 6" blocks instead of 9" blocks.


For the backing, I used a large cut of black solid batik (yes, this is a thing!) and layered it and the top with some pieced-together batting scraps. I decided on using the teal Auriful thread for the quilting but decided to use grey in the bobbin. Since the threads were just different colors of the same weight thread, I didn't run into any tension issues, which made the quilting process quick and easy!

I used a swirl-and-loop motif that I have used a few times before -- just in a smaller scale for the mini quilt.



For the binding, I used a grassy green batik. Instead of simple topstitching, I decided to go fancy and use a decorative stitch for sewing the binding to the front of the quilt. I used a leaf-shaped satin stitch (#25 on my Magnolia) in a chartreuse green Aurifil thread.



Now this quilt is ready to hang in my sewing room! 




Quilt Stats:
Name: Stars at Play Mini
Pattern: Stars at Play
Size: 24" square
Fabrics: Various Island Batik fabrics -- a half yard of the main peacock print; 5" strips of other fabrics
Quilting: curls and loops
Started: February 2019
Finished: February 2019

Sharing at Brag about your Beauties and Linky Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I like the way you stitched the binding on. That is a great way to use all those extra stitches on my machine. I always tend to stay on straight stitch or zig zag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you have it quilted...what a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt! I love the quilting on it and the binding is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison! What a beauty. I just love how you used that decorative stitch on the binding. It really gives it an added fun flair. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! And the leafy decorative stitch is such a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the decorative stitching for the binding. Very pretty finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this pattern. You can use a busy, colorful background and still highlight your stars with a neutral around them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Alison. I love the decorative stitching on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!