Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Stars at Play Baby Quilt {Island Batik Finish}

This little baby quilt was such a fun and fast finish! The pieced borders were added in a cinch!


This quilt is 36.5" square prior to quilting, so I was able to use a single width of flannel for backing. I also pieced the batting together with a large zig-zag stitch. Waste not!

Pressed, pinned, and ready to quilt!


I quilted this with a leafy meander just like my Antietam baby quilt with white thread. I love quilting baby quilts -- I don't need a chair to support the rest of the quilt! 


I love the way that the leaves pop with this quilting motif! I used the purple binding that I had originally thought that I would use to bind my 30 Pearls quilt. It was the perfect length for this quilt -- I only had to trim the tails an inch and a half to join them at the end! I bound this completely by machine and used purple Aurifil which blended beautifully with the purple batik binding fabric!


I learned with this quilt that yellow is hard to photograph. This quilt is a whole lotta yellow.


I like the way that the white background fabric connects the stars.


The star close up shows a great view of the quilting.


The flannel that I used is a white and pink diagonal plaid.


Now to get this quilt all ready to send off for baby snuggles!


Quilt Stats:
Name: Stars at Play
Design: based on a mini quilt pattern by Amanda Morrison (@honeybunnyanddoll)
Fabrics: Various Island Batik fabric basics, pink and white flannel backing
Size: 36 inches square
Quilting: leafy meander in white Aurifil
Future: Baby quilt for a friend
Started: June 2018
Finished: July 2018

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

12 comments:

  1. I love the purple binding on this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yellow and white really let the colors pop! Great finish, and it sounds like you have great plans to put the quilt to use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a lovely quilt and the white helps reduce some of the yellow. I never knew about photographing yellow - but I don't use it that much so it was news to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow is my favorite color, love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute quilt!!! Love the design! And your quilting is par excellence!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great little quilt! I adore all that happy yellow, and the leafy quilting is great. You do a really nice job getting the leafies to actually meander. Mine all tend to line up like they are marching, not such a great look. Congrats on a super finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fun finish. Yellow is such a sunny color to work with. Your photos turned out nicely even if the yellow wasn't the best for the camera. Congrats on another finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks lovely, had a go at making one of these blocks from your previous blog great way to do the flying geese but could not work out the size of the economy block in the middle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! The white under the stars is so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful finish! I am with you, I always try to size my baby quilts to fit with a single backing width.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute quilt! That yellow is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!