Friday, February 7, 2020

Block Progress {Frolic Mystery Quilt}

I am so excited today to show some real, tangible progress on my blocks for Frolic!

To refresh, I am planning to make all of the block sets into full blocks to make a bigger quilt and not make the half blocks. I have all of the units made for over half of the full blocks (these are featuring my navy fabrics) but I will need to go back and make flying geese and HSTs for my dark teal fabric blocks.

I now have 9 blocks completed! And of course, now that I am posting this picture, I am realizing that one of my corner units is turned 180 degrees -- oops! I will have some time with the seam ripper tonight!


I have been making my block parts in batches before making my blocks -- sewing together the flying geese as well as sewing together the four patch corner units for a set of blocks.

I've been using the coral and navy pinhweels as my leaders-and-enders. Since these are the same for all of my navy blocks, this seemed like the best choice.


I have only been making one block at a time to make sure that I am keeping all of my parts straight. This is slightly slower than working on multiple blocks at a time, but I haven't had to rip anything out yet (knock on wood).

I also realize that my plan to enlarge my quilt will require a LOT more sashings. I will have to do some math and figure out if I have enough coral fabric to cover a slightly larger quilt. I should have enough, but I want to make sure before I go boldly into this plan.

Happy Friday! Today I am teaching a class on foundation paper piecing! I am so excited!

4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful, I love those colors! I had to look hard to find your flipped corner block. Looking forward to seeing this top come together and to see how you set the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a photograph to help find the area in a block that has rotated itself on you. I agree with Liz, I had to look hard to find the spot you mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I always love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!