Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Clue #7, #8 Progress and a Test Block {Frolic Mystery Quilt}

The good thing about being behind on Frolic is that I can see how other people's quilts are coming together! I have been enjoying seeing all of the blocks people are putting together on Instagram and I am very jealous of those who have had the time/patience/ability to get their quilt tops finished!

The bad thing about being behind is that it seems like somewhat of an insurmountable task! I'm making some progress, most certainly. I've found that it is kind of hard to get to a stopping point with this project because I just want to keep going with the units.

I have *technically* finished all of the units for Clue #8 per the directions but haven't sorted my units into block groupings. I made all of the aqua/blue/coral flying geese and trimmed them.


I also managed to finish up the coral/navy HSTs which will be used to make the pinwheel centers of the blocks. I haven't gotten many trimmed.


I have trimmed a few HSTs though -- because I put together a test block!


First and foremost, WOW! As complicated as the directions seemed to be at times, I have found everything is coming together quite nicely! I have a tentative plan on modifying my quilt to be slightly larger, but for now, I am going to make all of my full blocks using the navy fabrics before moving onto my dark teal blocks. I will need to go back and make the dark teal/coral/aqua flying geese and dark teal/coral HSTs, but for now, I need a mental break from making units.

I also have quite a bit of cutting to do, particularly of my background fabric, to be able to put together blocks and sashing. I wish there was more strip piecing I could do going forward, but it will be a one-block-at-a-time thing to finish this quilt.

Please pop back in on Thursday as I will be sharing all of the goodies in my newest Island Batik Amabassador box!

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Your Frolic is going to be so pretty!!! All the cutting and trimming are what I really don't like. Maybe she needs to work with Accuquilt to make up dies for her blocks...then I would have to get an Accuquilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty block in great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I get frustrated when I get to the one-block-at-a-time stage, too. You'll make progress and it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your color choices worked out really well, it's a beautiful block. I'm working on multiple blocks, but I keep them at different stages. I start with the 4 patches in the corners. Then when I sew the two patches together, I also sew the flying geese for that block, then lay out the whole block and assemble. I start a new block when I get the first block to the point I'm going to assemble the pieces into rows. That way it's easier to keep the parts for each block together. I've managed to get 3 blocks going at the same time that way. So it's not traditional chain piecing but it does allow you to process more than one block at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!