Friday, January 17, 2020

Clue #4, #7, #8 Progress {Frolic Mystery Quilt}

After a long delay, I have finally finished Clue #4 for my Frolic mystery quilt! While the final reveal came out today, I am not as behind as I thought I might be.

To finish up Clue #4, I made all of the necessary sets of HSTs in navy, dark teal, and aqua.

I split up my aquas so that I used half of the different prints to make the aqua/navy HSTs and the other half of the prints to make the aqua/dark teal HSTs.


The left and center aquas are from my Pineapple Log Cabin quilt, the gingham check is a fat quarter I pulled out of a bundle, and the dot is from my April Showers quilt.


The umbrella print and raindrop print are from my April Showers quilt, the pearl chain dot is my Pineapple Log Cabin quilt, and the bubble dot print is a fat quarter of unknown origin.

(The beautiful print I used as my background is actually the back of one of my Wanderlust placemats.)

I also finished up the cutting for Clue #7.


But I decided that I needed a break from HSTs (which is what I would be making in Clue #7) and I decided that I wanted to skip to making more flying geese in Clue #8 instead! I am part of the way through sewing the blue triangles to one side of the units.


Some of my predictions about the quilt were very wrong, and some were right! I definitely like the blocks and the setting, but I am not necessarily in love with the pieced borders. I am going to think about actually making the center of my quilt LARGER and eliminating the pieced borders. I have lots of options, and I really love the main block of the quilt!

If you are Frolic-ing, what do you think of the reveal? Is it what you predicted? I predicted a quilt on point however I did not think we would have sashing.

Have a lovely weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I've been following along with you as you work on this, but not making one of my own. I love the final quilt and the colors are spectacular. Can't wait to see yours all together!

    I am not a "everything" scrappy quilter so if I make it, it will be with more yardage than scraps. :)

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what it would be... it just seemed like a mishmash to me in making so many different parts.
    It is the most labour intensive quilt I have ever made. I have all the parts sewn up to the reveal, but there is still
    so much to cut and to sew before I can even make a block!
    But I love the sashing and final layout and will make mine exactly as the pattern says.
    It looks like a 2 block quilt to me, so that is fun because it's not!
    Can't wait to see your version... I'm always fascinated how people put their quilts together in creative ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your colors are going to gel into a final quilt in such a fantastic way! I admit that I'm glad I sat this one out, but I'm enjoying watching everyone else this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the stars right...just didn't think about the "ring" around the stars. I am not fond of the border myself and was going to try and figure out something a little more pleasing for me. Good luck with your assembly...I'll look forward to seeing your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that from now on I will save the clues and wait for the reveal before I decide a make another Bonnie mystery. I probably won't use the HSTs for a pieced border,so I see a lot of pinwheel blocks in my future. I'm glad I only made half the units. I'm traveling util late March, so I won't be able to see how my color substitutions worked out until then.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your HST units all lined up look like trees! I'm not doing this mystery so I haven't seen the reveal but I like your fabrics and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors are going to work really well. I like the reveal. I used a black background which may have been a mistake, but I think mine will look OK. I'm contemplating just filling in with fabric triangles rather then making all those half blocks. We'll see. I'm playing with possibilities in EQ. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on for your setting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!