Monday, August 19, 2019

Pineapple Log Cabin Quilt {Finished Quilt}

In my push to finish, finish, finish, I got my Pineapple Log Cabin quilt finished before it languished on a shelf for 6, 12, or 18 months -- unlike a lot of other finishes this year! Here's the quilt top when it was completed in June:


When I started this quilt, I got all of the supplies for it at one time -- I thought ahead and included the batting and a spool of Aurifil thread the same time I ordered the fabric. Sometimes, I forget about batting and thread -- especially batting! -- and that ends up being an impediment to finishing something. 

(That being said, I have started a new column on my WIP/UFO spreadsheet -- a "shopping list" column -- to note what I need to get to finish a quilt. My hope is that I can be more proactive about making sure I have everything I need for a project.)

For the quilting on this quilt, I got a spool of variegated Aurifil 50 wt. thread -- the color is "teal spotted". However, I used a solid color light teal for all of the bobbins. I found it to be much easier to work from the two spools for top thread and bobbin thread rather than to use the variegated thread in both the top and the bobbin.


This is the largest quilt (and I think actually the only "quilt") that I have quilted using variegated thread. I believe I've only ever quilted table runners and mini quilts with variegated thread before. For the design, I attempted to copy the same chrysanthemum motif that my mom used to quilt my Good Fortune quilt. But being "on brand" for myself, my flowers are denser and smaller. 



Regardless, I really liked using this design and found it easy to move across the quilt, to fill in spaces of various shape and size, and only once did I run out of bobbin mid-quilt-stream. 

For the binding, I had set aside a half yard of one of my fabrics -- a fun striped, scalloped print -- and turned the entire half yard into some really awesome bias binding. The whole half yard was more than I needed, but now I have enough bias binding for a mini quilt ready to go. 


This quilt turned out quite lovely and the color scheme was a fun diversion from my typical choices.



In my head, I call this the "OG Cotton + Steel quilt" since most of the prints are from the first few Cotton + Steel collections. I missed out on a lot of these fabrics when they came out since I am a quilter on a serious budget, but holy man do these fabrics feel amazing in the hand. 

I'm *very* glad I sort of maybe over-ordered and have lots left over. 

Quilt stats:
Name: Pineapple Log Cabin // The OG C+S Quilt
Pattern: Modified version of the Pineapple Day pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop
Fabrics: Various old Cotton + Steel prints
Techniques: Paper piecing
Quilting: free motion quilted chrysanthemums
Size: 67" x 55"
Started: May 2019
Finished: August 2019
Future: TBD

5 comments:

  1. Yeah for a finish. You're smart to not set it aside to quilt later, because we all know how later gets away from us.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. The colours are wonderful. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your color choices! Looks great, such a nice and refreshing looking summery finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I love seeing how it changed from flimsy to finished quilt. Isn't it amazing what all that texture does? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! Personally, I love variegated threads. How did you like using variegated thread for a large quilt?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!