Friday, October 18, 2019

Spooky Halloween {Finished Table Runner}

My October Island Batik Ambassador challenge is complete!


For the machine applique stitching, I used a simple blanket stitch in black thread for all of the blocks.

I then pieced everything together and layered it with backing and batting, only to realize, that yes, I was a couple inches short on backing length using a single width of fabric. Oops.


To remedy my problem, I added a strip of black fabric approximately 5" wide to my backing to get the necessary length.

Here's my quilted table runner, after trimming and before adding the binding:


In the block backgrounds, I used black thread to free motion quilt meanders around the applique sections; I did not do any quilting within the applique sections. In the strip pieced sections and in the black cornerstones, I used orange thread to quilt loops and swirls.


I used the same color in the top and the bobbin throughout; here's a peak of the backing with the pop of orange thread:


For the binding, I also used the black solid batik.



This is ready to adorn my dining room table!

Thank you to Island Batik (as usual) for providing me this lovely fabric!

Quilt Stats:
Name: Halloween Spooks table runner
Pattern: Halloween Spooks by HBD
Fabrics: Island Batik fabrics -- scraps and black solid
Techniques: machine applique, strip piecing, free motion quilting
Quilting: free motion meanders, loops, and swirls in black and orange thread
Size: 45" x 18"
Batting: scrap batting
Started and finished: October 2019
Future: seasonal decoration

Sharing at Peacock Party, Finished or Not Friday, and Brag about your Beauties!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Alison! I love, love, LOVE candy corn. I thought I was the only person on earth who does, so to see it featured in your post today just made me smile. What a cute, bright, and happy runner. Of course, the Island Batik fabrics are just perfect for this project and look fabulous. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun table runner for Halloween! The candy corn appliqué is probably my favorite part, even though I hate the actual food. That is something that is such a signature image when I think of Halloween. I'm sure it will look great on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that backings (and sometimes bindings) always turn out to be several inches too short instead of too long? Cute Halloween runner.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I love candy corn, so I especially love that part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out really cute! I admire that you can do any quilting with black thread on black background. My eyeballs just refuse to focus in that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just adorable. I hate those rookie mistakes but you recovered and no one would know. The border is so perfect and really takes it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great!!! Perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great. You got all the wonderful orange fabric I was hoping for. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a very spooky and fun finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun! I really like the orange thread on the black background. The jack-o-lanterns really make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect for Halloween, love it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!