Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Tree Mini Quilt {Artsy Fartsy Finish}

My "artsy fartsy" project for this month is finished!


Here are the previous posts about this project:
Project Beginnings
Machine Applique
Quilting in Progress

Stepping back, I used a light aqua 50 wt. Aurifil to quilt loops in the sky area. I then trimmed the mini quilt into a rectangle.



I used a navy batik for the binding; I used a blue 28 wt Aurifil thread to do the final top stitching. I had never used the 28 wt. before and I really liked it for the binding -- it has more weight than the 40 or 50 wt. threads, but is not as thick as the 12 wt.


Now my tree mini quilt is finished!


As an Island Batik Ambassador, I am provided with samples of various lines of Island Batik fabrics and Aurifil threads to use and share with you!

Our challenge for this month was to make an art-style quilt with at least three different weights of Aurifil thread, and I think I succeeded at that task! I used four different colors of 50 wt. threads for the top stitching and FMQ. I used 12 wt. thread for the heart and 28 wt. thread for the binding.


Quilt stats:
Name: Tree Mini Quilt
Pattern: self-designed
Fabrics: Various Island Batik half yard cuts and scraps
Batting: scraps
Quilting: various FMQ designs using 50 wt Aurifil thread
Techniques used: FMQ, machine applique, topstitching with various stitches
Size: Approximately 25" x 12"
Started and Finished: July 2019

Sharing at Brag about your Beauties!

11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I hope you will put a label on it explaining the original of the tree trunk. It's a great story.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this quilt! It would be cool to put your initials in the heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! Such a great idea and a super cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project and it turned out to be such a fun quilt! I love the handprint trees - such a personal and wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the heart on the tree. It's a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat way to make the trees, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alison, what a great little mini! Love the FMQ. If you'd like, please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks this week. https://quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool idea! Thanks for sharing your project on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I don't think I've ever used 28 wt, either, but I like the substantial line of stitches it creates on the binding. Congratulations on a successful challenge finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool tree! I think you hit the mark on all aspects of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!