Monday, July 8, 2019

Tracing Hands and Making Plans {Artsy Fartsy With Aurifil and Island Batik}

This month our Island Batik challenge theme is Artsy Fartsy! The ambassadors have been tasked with making a project that uses at least three different weights of Aurifil thread. We are supposed to channel our inner quilt artists to create something Artsy Fartsy!


As an Island Batik Ambassador, I am provided with samples of various lines of Island Batik fabrics and Aurifil thread to use and share with you!

My plan for this month is to make a fun mini quilt for my hallway that is art quilt-inspired. But also, it's a little on the cheesy side and I had to enlist my lovely husband for the project too.


While its hard to see in this picture (and slightly easier to see in the second picture) I traced the hand and forearm of myself and my husband. He only agreed to participate if he did not appear in any pictures, so action shots of me tracing his hand are unavailable.

Next up, I pulled out a great brown Island Batik blender to use for these appliques.


A little trimming (and smoothing) later, I have a lady hand and a man hand for my project.


I pulled a number of half yard cuts and larger pieces for my background.


What color do you think I decided on? Any guesses on what I'm making here?

Happy Monday!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun project, Alison! My first thought was 2 hands reaching for the stars. I'm thinking you chose the middle blue for the background! *sitting by very curiously for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what you are making, but it looks like the arms are going to grab that fabric and run! I know I would! lol. Can't wait to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to guess you are making a family tree? The hands look like trees to me, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Man hand and lady hand all ready to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking a family tree of sorts. Look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I love we get to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued!!! Can't wait to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!