Wednesday, April 17, 2019

QST Factory {Scrappy Sewing}

Being sort-of caught up with my sewing commitments (but alas, way behind on my WIP/UFO progress), I had a little time to work on my Jingle Bell Square units and blocks. I shared about the start of this quilt a few weeks ago.

With each block requiring five QST units, I seem to have become a QST factory. I find that it's easiest to make a small batch of red blocks and then make a small batch of green blocks. One thing that I think I neglected to mention (but is easily seen in the finished quilt) is that when I am making the large QSTs, I'm saving half of them for the border.


I've been using my Accuquilt cutter to cut the parts for the center QST units, but I've been rotary cutting the rest of the block parts. It does take a while to trim down the small QSTs but I haven't had too many turn out wonky just yet.



For some reason, it makes the most sense in my mind to make sets of three blocks at a time. Three red finished blocks, three green finished blocks.


Now I have a total of 12 blocks (6 from previous, and 6 from this last week) -- this means I'm a hair under a quarter of the way done with my blocks!


In an effort to cull my thread collection slightly, I've been trying to use colored thread when I can in a lot of my projects. I have my spool of red and spool of dark green Aurifil at the ready for working on these blocks. I have been using a neutral color like cream, grey, or white in the bobbin so that I don't have to change the top thread AND the bobbin.

I'm temporarily at a stopping point with this quilt. I need to dig through some scrap piles and find a few additional "light" fabrics to mix in for my large QST units. I may have exhausted my supply of neutral Christmas and holiday fabrics already, but that's totally okay.

Sharing at Wait Loss Wednesday Let's Bee Social, and Needle and Thread Thursday! Also Oh Scrap!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being caught up enough on commitments that you had some time to return to this project. Using up scraps is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really fun and cheerful Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute blocks! This will make a fabulous quilt. Congrats on all the progress you've made. I've heard of using colored thread when piecing and I have to remember to do that. I like to use things up too! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!