Friday, April 12, 2019

Drift Away {Finished Quilt}

Hip hip hooray -- an actual finish -- and one that I can cross off my embarrassingly long WIP list!


I started this quilt in June of last year and used Melissa Corry's Drift Away pattern. The intention was to cull some of my green, aqua, and blue scrap fabrics, many of which were leftover backing fabrics and medium-sized chunks of fabrics leftover from other quilts. This quilt did make a dent in my scraps and small cuts and as such, is full of favorite fabrics!



I had this quilt pantograph quilted in a simple loop-de-loop pattern, so that it stays a snuggly bed quilt. The quilting is done with black thread, which is extremely contrasting from the aqua dot backing, but black ultimately was the best choice for the front of the quilt.


I used the leftover backing fabric to bind this quilt by machine -- I only needed four binding strips since it was extra wide backing! I also had the perfect color of Aurifil to use for the top stitching too.



This quilt is earmarked as a gift for one of the many weddings that are tentatively on our calendar for later this year. That is, unless my husband decides we need to keep it. It *does* match our bedroom.



Quilt Stats:
Name: Scrappy Drift Away
Pattern: Drift Away by Melissa Corry, with borders added
Fabrics: Scraps for piecing, black Kona solid, and an older Cotton + Steel print for the border
Size: 90" square
Quilting: pantographed loops
Future: to be determined
Started: June 2018
Finished: April 2019

Sharing at Brag about your Beauties and Favorite Monthly Finish!

11 comments:

  1. Nicely done! It's always awesome to get some of our WIP's totally finished. You are not alone in having a long list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love those cool colors, and there's so much movement in this one. I wouldn't blame your DH one bit if he wanted to keep it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the finish, Alison. It turned out beautifully. I'm curious if you gift it or keep it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish and it is a gorgeous set of colors. I love the quilting pattern you choose for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a very pretty finish and on working down those scrap bins. That has to feel good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. Your aqua/green scraps with black turned out to be a great combo. Looks snugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colors in this one - Nice to have this tucked away as a wedding gift. I have a wedding at the end of June and was trying to decide whether I could actually start and finish a quilt in time for it. I suppose it could be gifted just after the wedding and still be 'ok'. I think the dark color quilting looks great on the backing. Kind of dramatic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for completing WIPs! Yay, too, for sewing from the scrap bin! This is a lovely, cozy finish. I hope you keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the finish, blue is my favorite color and I really like all of your prints together. Thanks for linking up with the Favorite Finishes Monthly Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!