Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Ready, Set, Go! {More Blocks}

I've been working on some alternate blocks for my Ready, Set, Go! baby quilt challenge. I'm working on the "Mosaic" blocks this time around -- with a slightly modified color arrangement. 


Like before, the cutting for these blocks using the Accuquilt GO! cutter was fast! I like to keep the pieces stacked together in pairs and sets of four -- it makes it easier to keep track of the right side and wrong side of the batik fabrics.



For the Mosaic blocks, I'm using the pink Check it Out print and the black for these blocks is a snakeskin print! 

I made the flying geese first, then the square in a square blocks, and finally the half-square triangles.



One of my biggest struggles is making flying geese. I do better with the four-at-a-time method than the stitch and flip method, but I still sometimes have geese that end up a little wonky or have to make larger geese and trim them all down. All of my flying geese units made with the Accuquilt-cut units turned out nearly perfectly sized without having to trim. There will definitely be times where I'll choose this method over other flying geese methods going forward.

Bippity boppity boo -- eight perfect Mosaic blocks!



I interspersed these blocks with my previously made Depression blocks to see what my quilt will look like! I'm not planning to add sashing -- and I picked these blocks specifically for the secondary designs they create when paired -- can you see the broken dishes blocks that will appear in the intersections?



Now I have 14 finished blocks, and only 11 more to make! I'll need to make 6 additional Depression blocks and 5 additional Mosaic blocks. I have a few more black fabrics that will be mixed into my upcoming blocks but I believe I have enough of these two pink fabrics that I won't need to add in the third pink fabric that I set aside as a back up!

Sharing at Let's Bee Social!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alison! If for no other reason that flying geese, it sounds like I need to get an AccuQuilt cutter. I always struggle making them, to the point that I change the pattern to use HSTs instead. That's nuts! This is turning out really well - I love the two blocks together and the hidden design. Happy Wednesday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like how this is coming. It's also interesting to hear about the Ambassadors' opinions of the Go! cutter.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty blocks - I love the black and pink!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!