Friday, December 21, 2018

Big Plans {2019 Goals}

It's time for Quilting JetGirl's annual goal setting link up party for the new year!

2019 Planning Party

First let's review my three goals for 2018:

1. Quilt and finish some of my completed quilt tops
-- I finished nine quilts that were on my WIP list in January 2018, including four twin sized quilts for my guest room.


2. Host a new QAL and improve engagement:
-- I hosted the Blocked Rainbow QAL (pattern now available!) and we had great participation!


3. Say "no" with more frequency:
-- I definitely succeeded at this! I have cut back on some of my commitments and made more time for my own just-for-fun projects.

Here are my goals for 2019:

1. Design and write six new quilt patterns with the rest of the HBD team
-- There are already three quilt patterns in the pipeline for 2019 in various stages of completion, so part of this is already accomplished! I'd like to work on designing three more Honey, Bunny, and Doll patterns over the next year and get all six into the shop.
2. Focus on finishing the quilt along and bee quilts
-- Despite the fact that I've made a nice dent in my WIP list, there are a few quilts that were tops from bees and quilt alongs that have been on the list for a long time. This list includes:
Sew Kitschy/Sew Retro quilt (started in 2014)
Pineapple Stash Bee quilt (started in 2016)
Magnolia mystery quilt (started in 2017)
April Showers C2C Bee quilt (started in 2017)
Breezy Blooms C2C Bee quilt (started in 2018)
I am going to try to finish one of these quilts per quarter in 2019, which allows me to work on other projects as needed but should hopefully mean at least four of these are finished this time next year.

3. Organize and decorate my new sewing space
-- Once we move, I'll have a new sewing space to plan, set up, and decorate! While it might not happen right away, I would like to get a nicer table and ironing board, as well as some nicer shelves and storage bins. 

4. Take a class (or a few!)
-- I'm going to make a sad admission -- I haven't taken any quilting or sewing classes since 2011. I have a long list of excuses why I haven't taken any classes: school, money, time, quilt shops being too far away. This year, I want to take at least one class (and maybe more) to learn a new skill, technique, or pattern.

Have you shared your goals for 2019? What's on your list?

9 comments:

  1. I like your goal of taking a class, do you have any ideas on if that means locally or going on a retreat? Either way, it sounds like fun! And speaking of fun, getting to decorate your new sewing space sounds like a treat, too. I hope you have a fantastic 2019 and thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad, I've never taken a quilting class. YouTube is my friend because I live so remote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a successful year, and I wish you much success on fulfilling your goals next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lofty goals that you will complete, no doubt. My goals are the same as this year...(1)make 12 QOV quilts,(2)complete my two BOM quilts,(3)design a new holiday quilt, (4) quilt several tops that need custom quilting. My studio is a mess and will continue that way until I deplete at least half my stash. No more fabric purchases unless absolutely critical to existing projects. May God help us both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great year for you!! You accomplished a great deal. You can make an big ironing board to fit over your existing ironing board, you know. I made myself one when I was house/pet sitting for my daughter in Florida. You just need a piece of plywood (either what you have or, like me, have the store cut it for you) that is 1/2-3/4" thick and 20" by 6-7', batting, canvas, heavy-duty stapler (staple gun?), and 3 pieces of scrap wood 1x1" or 1x2" to screw into the underside of your big board - one as an end stop for the flat end of your ironing board and 2 in the V area so it doesn't slide around. I love mine and being able to press large blocks or backings more easily. You have an ambitious year ahead and you are smart to plan some time for you!! Have a blessed Christmas with those dear to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never taken a class. Ever. One of these days I will! Let's finish our magnolia mystery quilts together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that decorating your studio is on your list! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your goals for 2019. Just a warning about decorating a sewing study, it can be a work in progress for a long time. I finally bit the bullet and replaced the "temporary" desk set up that lasted for 17 years because it just didn't make sense to spend money on a true sewing cabinet till I had ergo issues with the old set up. Wishing you lots of success with all your plans for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also considering writing a pattern. And reducing WIPs of course, probably like most :) Wishing you the best of luck and much joy in 2019! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!