Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Quarter Cabins {Finished Quilt}

With just a little time to spare, my November Island Batik Ambassador project is finished!

This quilt top ended up being a little over 50" square, so it was the perfect size to try out the Hobbs Wool batting that came in my summer IB Ambassador goody box!

Here's the jewel-toned beauty -- I had to fight some nasty wind to get these pictures today!


As an Island Batik Ambassador, I am provided with samples of various lines of Island Batik fabrics to use and share with you, as well as thread and batting samples!



This was my first time quilting with a batting that is 100% wool. The fluffiness intimidated me a little bit! I decided that it would be best to do a medium scale meander for this quilt -- a motif with which I have a lot of confidence! I used a grey Aurifil thread to do the quilting and purchased some grey flannel for the backing.



One thing I will say about this batting -- I'm not sure if I can attribute it entirely to the content, batting size, or the way that the batting is folded (not rolled!) -- the folds in the batting smoothed out much quicker than the typical cotton or cotton-poly blend. It gives this quilt a beautiful "puff" too!


I bound this quilt completely by machine using the purple checkerboard fabric. I used a purple Aurifil thread to do the final topstitching.



Now the quilt is finished and (probably) ready to be gifted! I have a number of people that will be receiving quilts for Christmas, but I need to decide who gets which quilt!



Quilt Stats:
Name: Quarter Cabins
Size: 51" square
Fabrics: Spirit Rhythm collection from IB plus checkerboard fabrics for setting triangles and binding
Quilting: simple meander in grey Aurifil
Future: Gift quilt!

Started: October 2018
Finished: November 2018

Sharing at Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursdsay! And Finish it up Friday, too!

7 comments:

  1. You can for sure add my name to your gift list for that quilt!! :) I love the checkered fabric in the triangles; it's perfect for setting off the other colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that the batting folds went away quickly, that's great to know. I really haven't explored different battings much since I got my longarm and started buying folded rolls. Congratulations on another awesome finish and it sounds like you're going to have an awesome handmade gifting Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wool batting does not "remember" the folds like poly and cotton do, so your quilt will not "remember" the folds in it as much either! Wool is an amazing batting that is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter then either poly or cotton. It is my favorite batting to use for any quilt! Your quilt looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, Alison! Those fabrics in the cool, bright colors are just drool worthy! I've used wool a couple times, too, and really like it. It's supposed to not crease if you fold it for storage, so that quilt will look great no matter how it's used :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good decision to use a quilting design you're comfortable with when comparing products. I've used wool a few times and like the others have said, the creases fall out quickly. I've heard folks who show their quilts like it for that reason. I love your quarter-log cabins. I've not made a quilt with this block but am adding it to my list. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wool is supposed to cut down on seeing the folds when your quilt has been folded for a long time. I have used it before and really like it. I also have used double batts with their 80/20 on the bottom and wool on top. Great texture!!! Love your quilt;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it....I love the hobbs batting as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!