Friday, December 27, 2019

Clue #3 Progress {Frolic Mystery Quilt}

When I did the cutting for Clue #2, I did the cutting for Clue #3 as well. Thanks to weekend movie watching, I had all of the diagonals drawn on my background fabric squares in short order.


This is the first unit where I actually used my scrappy fabrics! Rather than mixing both my teal and my dark blue fabrics for this unit, I used only the scrappy dark teal fabrics.

I used seven different dark teal fabrics, a few of which were leftover from the Cotton + Steel half-yards I used for my Pineapple Quilt. There are actually two different zig zag prints but they are very similar! I bought these on clearance years and years ago and used one of them in my Summer on the Coast quilt. The teal and gold arch print came from a traveling quilt goodie box and the dandelion print fabric was used in my Odori quilt.


Like the first two clues, I did make a few extra units for this step, just in case. Unlike the other clues which were strip piecing and sub-cutting, this one took a little bit more time (or a lot more time!) because I needed to trim all of my units. I did make a lot of pretty trash.

At this point, I am terribly behind! I didn't get these HSTs trimmed until this week Monday due to holiday prep and travel. I brought my fabrics for Clue #4 with me to prep and cut but have had too many holiday activities to squeeze that in. Clue #5 actually comes out today and I will be lucky to finish both of these clues by New Year's Day at this point.

Maybe one year, eventually, we won't have to travel for Christmas and I can just stay home and sew. That would be a real Christmas miracle!


2 comments:

  1. You're doing fine. It's not a race. Ignore those people who post their finished units by 2 PM on the day of release. This is supposed to be fun. That said, I haven't finished clue 4 and I'm not making half the units and I didn't travel anywhere. Enjoy the process and go at your own pace.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a real problem picking fabrics when I can't picture the finished quilt!! I always collect the clues though!!! One of these years, I'll get them finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!