Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Good Fortune {Finished Quilt Top}

After having to make a bunch more units for my borders (which was a long detour!) I have finished my Good Fortune quilt top!

The first task was finishing up the extra green HSTs for my green HST border. I also cut the necessary extra units for my QST units at the same time.


It was nice to already be mostly done with this border and only have to worry about adding on the last side!


I decided to skip the neutral border from the original quilt and just add the QST border directly to the HST border as it was *exactly* the right size for an even number of units. I also probably don't have enough background fabric to add a spacer border of any size anyways -- I only started with 2 yards of the dot print as my background, didn't feel like ordering more, and I like the look of the two different pieced borders next to one another.


Now this top is finished! My changes from Bonnie's original are as follows:
--substitute aqua instead of orange
--half as many total blocks in the center
--spacer border before HST border
--skipped neutral pieced border between HST border and QST border

I'm not sure how and when this one will be quilted -- having On Ringo Lake pantograph quilted was definitely the right decision for that quilt, but I am going back and forth about what to do with this one. It's certainly a manageable size for me to quilt since it's a small throw, but since it isn't a project with a deadline, it will likely be shelved for a while.

But I do know one thing -- this quilt needs a red binding once it is quilted!

Have a Happy Wednesday and Happy Valentine's Day!

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

10 comments:

  1. I love how everyone has put their own spin on this quilt. I love your fabric combinations. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Your colors are so pretty. There's so many great color changes being shared but I think you nailed this one! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Yes... RED binding will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like this one a lot. Great choice of colors.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your version, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Great job making the borders work with your smaller sized piece. You're right, the two borders work well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Congrats on getting it to the finished flimsy stage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!