Friday, April 13, 2018

Antietam Inspired Quilt {Finished Baby Quilt}

Today I'm sharing the finish of my April Island Batik Ambassador challenge! This month's theme is using vintage quilts to inspire new creations!


I chose a quilt in the museum of Antietam National Battlefield as my inspiration which you can read more about in my previous post! I made nine blocks in the same design as those in the original quilt.


I put together the blocks with 1.5" sashing strips. I very often sash 12" blocks with 1" finished sashings for baby quilts -- that way the quilt is narrow enough to use a single width of fabric for backing! 


For the quilting, I decided to use a leafy meader after following along with Angela Walter's recent FMQ QAL. I did half the quilting on one day and half the next and used cream thread. The backing is flannel. The batting is Hobbs Heirloom Premium, provided by Hobbs in my IB Ambassador kit.


I used the background fabric for the binding and machine stitched it to the front using emerald thread as a little accent. 






Quilt Stats:
Name: Antietam Baby Quilt
Fabrics: Island Batik basics/blenders provided in my IB Ambassador box
Size: 40 inches square
Quilting: Leafy meander
Started: March 2018
Finished: April 2018
Future: Baby quilt for close friends' first baby!


12 comments:

  1. Your leafy meander looks like you've been doing it for a long time. Very nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colors, wonderful design, and awesome leafy meander quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt and great story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baby quilt turned out so sweet and pretty! I love the leafy meander. It gives lots of texture and is more interesting than a simple stipple. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt turned out wonderful!!! Nice job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work - great chance to do the quilting design again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your of this antique quilt! It is so much fun to see all the different ways we make new! I think the leafy meander is just perfect and looks terrific. Just curious - did you wash and block?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, you should be so proud of this one. Beautiful design, beautifully executed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic finish! The quilting is a great compliment to the design.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!