Friday, December 16, 2016

2017 Goal Setting Party with Quilting Jetgirl

Yvonne of Quilting Jetgirl his hosting her annual new year goal setting party! I've decided to join in the fun this year.


Here are my quilting goals broken down:

1. Busting my WIP list.

As I posted previously, I'm feeling very overwhelmed by my current number of works in progress (WIPs). I'd like to focus most of my efforts on finishing my WIPs this year, but I am not going to completely prohibit myself from starting a new project because I know there will be QALs that I will want to participate in next year as well as new projects I will "need" to start.

So I'm going to implement a "three for one" system. Three completely finished projects off of the WIP list means I get to start a project of my choosing. My ultimate goal would be to get my WIP list under 10 by the end of the year, including any new projects I might start.

2. Continuing to expand my FMQ skills

This is going to be accomplished in conjunction with #1! I have quite a few nearly-completed WIPs that are small enough for me to feel confident in quilting myself. I'd like to work on more filler motifs, but also work on more decorative FMQ as well.


3. Producing one tutorial per month

Between my own QAL, producing quilts for Moda Bake Shop, and tutorials for Benartex, I had 13 tutorials published which is a huge undertaking! Unfortunately last year a few of these were clustered very close together which was rather difficult, so I'd really like to spread these out a little bit more which should make the process more manageable.


4. Hosting a new QAL

This is already in the works, and different from what I have done before! If I expand it out to my ideal plan, it would fulfill my goal of one tutorial a month! Stay tuned for more details. :)

5. Participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again in 2017

I loved participating in the RSC this year. I made a noticable dent in my scrap bins and I am so happy with my Farmer's Wife quilt! I am not planning to make 111 different blocks next year (thanks but no thanks!) and I think I might make all churn dashes. Maybe in different sizes, but maybe not. I definitely need something much simpler and potentially more versatile than the Farmer's Wife.


Hop on over to Quilting Jetgirl to see what everyone else is planning for 2017!

23 comments:

  1. Best wishes for reaching your goals in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Alison! I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals in 2017! I know I have several that I want to achieve, but have not actually written them down and think that is the best way to help achieve those goals. So thank you for sharing and the link. Have a fantastic creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great goals Alison. Good luck in reaching them. I suppose we should all be working on our WIP's .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals Alison! I look forward to seeing you tutorials and seeing what you planned for you QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals and sure you will do it.Ilook forward to seeing you tutorials .Good luck!

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that 3 for 1 idea, a reward for finishing those dusty WIPs. I think I can use that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. QAL? Did you say QAL? Now I'll be hitting the refresh button on your blog hourly! Goal number one, the 3 finished earns 1 new start sounds pretty tough. It really would make a big dent, but you evidently have more restraint than me. (See my initial QAL excitement, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you have had a great year! I am looking forward to your QAL and tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely list of goals, and they sound really achievable and fun as well. I hope you have a wonderful 2017 and thank you so much for linking up! (Also, don't forget you can link up with Tips and Tutorials Tuesday as you meet your goal of a tutorial a month!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list Alison, comprehensive and achievable. Good luck with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous goals. I'm not committed enough to do 3:1. I just want to sew what makes me happy, and if that's a new project, well so be it!! But I also want to get my WIP's sorted, and the massive pile that never gets any smaller is a bit depressing, so maybe... But there are so many things I want to start!!! ha ha
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you rocked the tutorials this year (and I'm sure you'll continue to do so!). I appreciate the bloggers who write them because, quite honestly, they tend to burn me out. Would love to see your rainbow churn dashes? By the way, did you get into Mod? Hoping to meet you one day still!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well thought out goals. Good luck to you in 2017. I'll be joining you in the reducing WIPs goal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your goals this coming year! I think a lot of us have those WIPs we want to tackle! http://quiltlovefordomesticfelicity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your goals. A tutorial a month is a lot of tutorials and I noticed that you did a lot last year as well. They really take a lot of effort and forethought, but give how you kicked butt on those last year, I look forward to you rockin' out on that goal this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great goals! I love to finish up WIPs. I always forget how fantastic it feels to clear out those old projects! Best wishes for a year full of finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your 3 for 1 idea - I have a few too many WIPs that need finishing too. Looking forward to your QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great goals, Alison! (And way to go on all the tutorials last year and yet to come!) I hadn't heard of the RSC... I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 3:1 is a great plan! I might have to do 5:1 to get it under ten, but I'm with you - there's no point in only working on WIPS and never having any fun. I did a rainbow churn dash for the RSC in 2014 and it's one of my favorite scrap quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your plans sound so exciting! I look forward to seeing your new tutorials and QAL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your many accomplishments for 2016. Your goals for 2017 promise another great year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your Farmer's Wife quilt! I hope to finish mine this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!