Wednesday, April 27, 2016

WIP Wednesday: Get {Fire}crackin'

Thanks to some evening baseball games, I have been able to finish up the 100 square units from my wedges for my primary Little Firecrackers quilt. I realized that I could cut my white wedges from 7 inch strips rather than 7.5 inch strips, so I was able to stretch my background fabric all the way to the end for this one. (Still need to order more Moda Bella White for the other one!)


I went ahead and got all of the block units sorted into groups of four that will be sewn into the final blocks. Trying to pull from the seven different block piles randomly would probably just end in disaster. Hopefully I have mixed up the different units enough so that there aren't too many obvious repeats within the quilt!


I also decided to sew together the blocks differently than in the original pattern -- the original pattern has you sew your four units together with the small points in the middle rather than your "burst" in the middle. This way, I'll have less pinning and easing to do when I sew my blocks into rows. It will also hopefully make it easier to arrange blocks since none of the colored fabrics will be touching each other.


One block down, 24 to go!

Sharing at Fabric Tuesday, Sew Cute Tuesday, Oh Scrap! and Let's Bee Social!

12 comments:

  1. You've made so much great progress! I think your plan for piecing makes a lot of great sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the contrast between the strong colours and white background. The finished block looks great.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! that's quite a project with all the strips within the firecracker block!! Can't wait to see it put together: it will be a firecracker!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is very cool. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks! I went back a couple of posts to see how you did this, and I'm glad I looked, I've been wanting to try a strip piecing pattern. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that looks like a fun block! Great way to use up scrap fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be great. Perfect for a scrappier quilt and I think your method of putting the blocks together makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be a bright and fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just gorgeous - well done on the progress. Really nice to see an alternative layout pattern for the wedges too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is going to be one gorgeous scrappy quilt when finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!