Tuesday, September 9, 2014

January Snowman Wall Hanging Finished

One down, eleven to go!

I spent this weekend watching football all day both days and finished my January snowman wall hanging!

Here's a picture of the wallhanging once I finished all of the satin stitching:


I took some time to whip stitch some of my batting scraps to use for battings for these little wall hangings. Nothing like being resourceful!

For the quilting I used Leah Day's Tangle of Lights quilting pattern as my inspiration to quilt this project but I used 6 pointed stars instead of 8 pointed stars. I wasn't able to get the greatest picture of the quilting for this one but hopefully this one will suffice!


For the back, I used a half yard of a stashed light blue fabric and a piece of a blue and cream print that I had also used on the front. Since these wall hangings end up about 21 inches wide, a half yard is just a touch too small and so I had to piece this one. Some of the other ones I might use yard pieces, but I will probably piece most of them just to save on fabric. Plus they will be on the wall side, so I'll probably be the only one that sees them!


I used the leftover fabric from the backing for the binding as well -- I only had about 4 inches extra binding! Nothing like cutting it close! I still need to add on the buttons for his eyes and on his chest but otherwise he is done being embellished.


I didn't add a hanging sleeve, but I used the corner pocket method that lots of people have done tutorials on but a good explanation is here.


I'm also looking for some more participants for a 2.5 inch strip swap that I am hosting! Pop over to the Flickr group to sign up!

Linking up with Fabric TuesdayLinky Tuesday, and Free Motion Mavericks!

2 comments:

  1. he is a cutie, not seen the corner pockets before so will check them out now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alison,

    What a great little quilt - just when everyone else is doing autumn quilts! Yes, I can see the quilting. It is an ideal pattern for the snowman. To me it suggests snowflakes swirling in the sky.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love Muv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!