Monday, May 13, 2019

Karen's Quilt {C2C Bee 2019}

This go-round of the Coast to Coast bee has me working on Karen's quilt. For her quilt this year, she has a medallion quilt inspired by a few Kaffe Fassett florals.

Karen made the star center and Stephanie added the subsequent borders. 

I decided that my first order of business would be to add some smaller spacer borders. First I added a solid border in the blue that Karen sent along with the quilt and then I added a border of all 4" x 2" finished flying geese. These geese were made from the same blue solid and two different black tonal prints. I used my Accuquilt Go! cutter to cut all of the pieces and parts for my geese.


So, I actually had this plan in place for over a month and most of the cutting done before I finally got this section of the quilt added. Technically I'm a little behind now (and Audrey's quilt is sitting in a box waiting to be worked on!) but I didn't want to just add this section to the quilt so I got Audrey's blessing to hold onto the quilt a few extra days and add a little more to the quilt.

After a little bit of thinking, I decided on adding some half sawtooth stars to the quilt. I also used my Go! cutter to cut the triangles for these units and used 5 different fabrics for my half stars on the sides of the quilt (finished size 16" x 8") and quarter stars in the corners (8" finished).

I used both of the floral prints that Karen sent along with the quilt and then added in three fabrics in similar colors for the stars.


The big piecing was fast and really added a big punch to the quilt, as well as showing off the beautiful prints! Now Karen's quilt is 64 inches square!


This is already off in the mail to Audrey -- and I have Audrey's quilt from Stephanie waiting for me to start working on it!

Hope your weekends were full of productive sewing!

Sharing at Oh Scrap!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway here!

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This looks amazing. I was impressed by the addition of the blue border and then scrolled down further and SHABAM! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the addition of the half stars. It really brings the top to life!
    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that last border is really amazing! I love how it ties into the center!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The half sawtooth star border is genius.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!