Friday, May 4, 2018

Playful Pillows {May Island Batik Ambassador Project}

This month, our Island Batik Ambassador theme is Playful Pillows!


I have never made a pillow or quilted pillow cover before (I made some really simple pillowcases years ago for my husband) so this is a fun adventure for me! As always, all of the fabrics have been generously given to me by Island Batik!

I decided that I wanted to make a pillow to match the baby quilt that I made last month. Here's that quilt:


Rather than making a one block pillow from the same pattern, I decided to use the same fabrics with the mini quilt pattern from our Bear Tracks pattern. The mini finishes at 12", which is a good size for a little pillow. Here's Amanda's original mini quilt top:


The bear paw blocks are itty bitty! The blocks are 4" finished so those HSTs finish at 1"! Lots and lots of trimming later I had all of my HSTs ready:



Once the HSTs were done, it didn't take very long to get the blocks together and get the top done.


I layered the top with some scrap batting and leftover flannel and used my walking foot to do some simple straight line gridwork on the top. I also stitched around the perimeter of the top to make sure that everything stayed together during construction.


I used Amanda Jean's simple envelope back pillow tutorial as a guide for my pillow. I had a 12" pillow form and used the leftover flannel from the back of the quilt as the back of the pillow. I used a zig-zag stitch around final seam to finish. That way the pillow can be washed because goodness knows babies can make messes!

And ta-da! A little pillow to match a little quilt.



This was a fun and easy project and I can see why some people find pillows so addicting to make! Maybe I need to recover the pillows on my couch...


If you love bear paw blocks like I do, then check out the Bear Tracks pattern which includes the mini quilt pattern!

Happy Friday! I'm having a giveaway of the scraps left over from the project -- click here to see that post! Sharing at Finish it up Friday!

7 comments:

  1. Cute little pillow! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pillow! New sofa pillow covers in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it looks like a bear left tracks across your pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the quilt and pillow look together. Will they be gifted as a set or are you going to keep the pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet! Making your pillow to match the baby quilt is a great idea. Pillow covers go together so quickly, it's tempting to fill the house with pillows :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great way to use up some of the left overs. It looks great with the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!