Friday, November 10, 2017

Periodically {Two Periodic Table Quilts}

If you've been around Little Bunny Quilts for a long while, you might remember that I started this blog while I was in graduate school studying chemistry. This year, my two best friends from undergrad both started teaching chemistry at the college level and I have been secretly working on something special for each of them!

I had actually made a periodic table wall hanging in 2014 for my old adviser so it was easy to repeat the process! I even kept nearly all of the color assignments the same, with the exception of swapping out the black background for white backgrounds in my new versions.



Within each wall hanging, there are no fabric repeats! Each wall hanging has all of the same fabrics, but just laid out differently. I was able to pull all of the squares from gigantic box of 2" squares that I "borrowed" from my mom. 

These two wall hangings are slightly shorter than the original, but I did the same free motion quilting in these -- cursive lettering of all of the chemical symbols for the elements! In the background of each, I did a simple meander.



The backing, binding, and hanging pocket of each quilt came from my box of "large scraps" -- usually the ends of yardage left over from projects. I pieced the battings too -- these were truly scrappy projects!

The first quilt backing is pieced with a large navy and green stripe print and a section of green left from my Christmas Twirls quilt. The second quilt backing is pieced with three different fabrics - a black leaf print, a magenta dot, and the white stripe print leftover from the backing of the Clover Sunshine quilt.


I used the same green floral print for both pockets. I used some of the leftover backing fabric from my Favorite Frames quilt for the binding for the first quilt.



For the second quilt, I used burgundy dot print (also used in one of my Firecracker quilts) for the binding.



These are in the mail to my friends and I can't wait for them to get them!

Sharing with Finish it up Friday!

7 comments:

  1. What awesome and caring, personalized gifts for your friends, Alison! The quilted lettering on each element square really is a fabulous touch, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Perfect gift for college professors. I hope they hang them in their offices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so great! Gotta love a good scientific quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever, practical and thoughful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! What a perfect present for chemistry teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever gift! I am sure that they will both love them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!