Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Rainbow Sampler in Modern By The Yard {Cover Girl}

I am so excited to share that I have a quilt in the latest issue of Benartex's Modern By The Yard -- and it just happens to be the cover quilt for this issue!


If you're not familiar with MBTY, it's Benartex's free e-zine that is published quarterly! I was working on this quilt like a mad woman back in April and it is so exciting to see it be published! I don't have a ton of in progress pictures of this quilt, but here is a picture of the quilt top once it was finished:


My inspiration for this quilt was to make a modern, pixelated rainbow made up of quilt blocks rather than simply squares. Each color of the rainbow uses a different block - red pinwheels, orange churn dashes, yellow flying geese, green sawtooth stars, blue bowties, and purple bear paws. Using the quilt blocks rather than colored squares gives it a slightly more abstract and modern feel. I picked out some of my favorite traditional quilt blocks to use for this quilt with the idea that a confident beginner could make this quilt.

The quilt uses the Glass House Fabric line by Rose Ann Cook. This line is a fun grouping of tonal-type prints with somewhat unique patterns - including water droplets and cut glass. The very rich colors stand out from my white background!


For the quilting, I used a motif of swirls and loops that mimic flowers without being overly feminine. The backing is a the grey facets print (third print in the third row above) and the binding is the sample purple fabric that I used for the purple bear paw blocks.


It's a wonderful feeling to be able to finally share this quilt with all of you because I enjoyed designing it and working on it so much! Hop on over to see the full issue!

Sharing at Let's Bee Social, TGIFF, and Finish it up Friday! Don't forget to enter my June Island Batik Giveaway!

17 comments:

  1. What a bright and cheerful quilt! Congratulations on being a cover girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and wonderful execution. And congratulations for making the cover of the e-zine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! I Love the use of traditional blocks in this modern quilt. Congratulations on making the cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your beautiful design! Before I read that it depicted a rainbow it actually made me think of Niagara Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a lovely, cheerful quilt. It makes you happy just to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, one on being a cover girl, and wo, for a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your cover quilt, Alison! I love how the traditional blocks pop in this modern rainbow layout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you grow, Alison! It's been fun watching you develop as a quilter and pattern designer! Congratulations on making the cover! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really ingenious quilt, I love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! What a great achievement and what a lovely quilt. I love the idea of different blocks for the different colours - it really puts a different slant on the rainbow them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely. I like how bright and perky she is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, cover girl! I love rainbow quilts, and yours is so creative in that it's actually blocks! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swoon! I love rainbow quilts, and this one came out fabulously! Congrats on a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt, especially the addition of the churn dash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to come and read this post. This has to be my favorite quilt you've made, Alison! It's amazing! Congrats on your well-deserved cover spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool-your quilt is even the banner for the Sew in Love (with fabric) blog-beautiful quilt! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!