Monday, July 6, 2015

QCQAL 2: Finished Quilt Top Tips and link up!

We've reached the end of the road!


Here are a few tips and tricks for putting together your finished quilt:

1. You will more than likely need to play around with your layout. You want to mix up your sizes of rows and make sure that your fabrics are mixed up as well! I would suggest starting out your rows in the same size order as mine, and then move around as needed!

2. I sewed the sashing strips on to the bottoms of all of my rows, then sewed together in pairs, and then sewed the pairs into pairs, etc. until the whole quilt was sewn together.

3. I think my quilt is just a touch on the short side, so I may add another row to the bottom. Bonnie, one of our participants used 2 inch sashing instead of 1 inch sashing, so hers is nice and long! (pictured below!)

And drum roll please!



(Of course, now that I am looking at the pictures, it looks much less square than when I was working with it at home!)

For clarification my row order is: 8 inch, 4 inch, 12 inch, 6 inch, 4 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch, 6 inch, 4 inch, 12 inch, 8 inch
Hopefully this will help some of you in figuring out how to lay your rows out!

Note: for those of you that have made the throw size and have two of each size row, you can skip the top three -or- the bottom three rows on my quilt since you have 8 rows instead of 11!

Here are two close ups of different sections of the quilt:



Bonnie got hers done this weekend and was kind enough to send me a picture! As I mentioned above, she used two inch sashing instead of one inch sashing.


Her row order is 8 inch, 4 inch, 12 inch, 6 inch, 12 inch, 8 inch, 4 inch, 6 inch, 12 inch, 4 inch, 8 inch.

And it is now your turn to share whatever you have finished -- blocks, rows, or finished quilt tops! In two weeks I'll have a "quilt parade" post of all of the finished tops!

Sharing at Sew Cute Tuesday, Building Blocks Tuesday (guest host Patch + Dot!), Linky Tuesday, and Fabric Tuesday!



11 comments:

  1. Both quilts are beautiful. I wish I could get a better picture of mine. Being that it's 96" square, I had trouble getting all the rows in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they both look lovely. I have all my blocks cut for the 8 row one then disaster had not cut out the borders and sashing so had to buy more fabric, needless to say the shop had sold out but they have managed to get more for me that I picked up the other day so no more excuses get stitching Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How grand Alison! A beautiful row quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, great finish Alison! I've never done a row quilt...but it looks kinda fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely row quilts, something else on my to-do list this year. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Alison, I was all ready to link up but then I realized it was quilt tops we are linking. I just finished quilting a quilt. I guess that means I had better get my flowering snowball quilt top done so I can link it up.

    P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute quilts - love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never done a row quilt before, but yours is so pretty that I feel like I'm going to have to give it a try! Congratulations on a beautiful finished top! Any thoughts about how you'll quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where could I get my hands on this pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!