Monday, May 8, 2017

Christine's Kitchen QAL {Week 8}

Welcome back to Week 8 of the Christine's Kitchen QAL! Now that we're done paper piecing, we're in the sprint to the finish line to finish the quilts!

Update: The QAL Is now over and the entire pattern is now available for purchase.


It's applique week! We're making two applique blocks to add to Row #2. Here are my applique tips for this week!
  • If you plan to hand applique, don't forget to add your seam allowance to the templates in this week's pattern.
  • I machine appliqued my blocks -- my stems are 1/4 inch strips (see below) and my flowers are pink and purple. 
  • Before machine appliqueing, test your stitch tension. I keep a scrap nearby to test my tension, much like testing tension for machine quilting.
  • Stitch slow and steady until you get the hang of keeping your stitches at/on the edge. I used a zig zag stitch for my stems, leaves, and flower petals.
  • When adding my fusible applique pieces, I added my flower centers first, then my stems and leaves, and finally the flower petals.
  • Don't forget to trace your shapes onto your fusible web before you iron it to your fabric!
Let's take a peak into my machine applique process:

Here are my flower centers and a section of petals traced and ironed onto my fabrics:


For the stems, I ironed a larger piece of fusible web onto my green fabric and then cut 1/4 inch strips from that section.


Here are my applique pieces added step by step:



For my machine applique I used two different variegated threads from Superior threads on the top with off-white in the bottom. Don't forget to trim your blocks to 8 inches!


Here are Amanda's blocks:


Once your blocks are complete, you can add them to either side of Row #2! 


Since we've finished a row this week, we'll be doing another giveaway! This week will be another two pattern giveaway! Don't forget to post your finished rows on Instagram with #ChristinesKitchenQuilt! 

Our winner from last week is Alice! Check out here entire china collection:


Thinking about joining in late? There is still a lot of time to catch up before the final quilt parade in June! Sharing at Let's Bee Social too!

March 20th: Blocks 1 and 2; sashing

March 27th: Blocks 3 and 4; building Row #1
April 3rd: Block 5; sashing
April 10th: Blocks 6 and 7
April 17th: Blocks 8 and 9; building Row #3
April 24th: Blocks 10 and 11; sashing
May 1st: Block 12; sashing, building Row #4
May 8th: Applique blocks, building Row #2 (you are here!)
May 15th: Setting 
May 22nd: Border and finishing
May 29th: Memorial Day break
June 5th: Show off your quilt!

1 comment:

  1. Your quilt pattern is so pretty! I wish I had joined in, but I already have too many projects to make.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!