I realized that the black background was limiting with what I wanted to do, so I ripped that apart and found a different background entirely.
And I spent most of my Sunday constructing this:
I am so in love with how this turned out! My partner said she liked animals, so I thought a frog and black cat were perfect! Doesn't the texture background look so much better than the black??
The cat pattern I found here and modified it slightly -- no side pieces and made the tail skinnier so it ended up 8" instead of 8.5".
The wrapped candy is two QSTs and a plain square!
Now let's talk about this frog.
I searched and searched for a cute frog pattern. And then I had a CRAZY idea. For those of you that get Quiltmaker magazine, this issue's Patch Pal is a frog. I took that pattern and miniaturized it. Each square in the pattern became 1/2 inch finished in my frog. I did eliminate the feet and tongue from the pattern because I'm not THAT crazy.
Now I just need to do some hand embellishment -- whiskers and eyes for my kitty and a mouth and eyes for my frog/witch.
Linking up at Linky Tuesday, Fabric Tuesday, Sew Cute Tuesday, and WIP Wednesday!