Friday, April 3, 2015

Finished October Wall Hanging

Talk about an off-season finish!

I've actually had this done for a few weeks, but with all of the stuff I've had to do prepping for the QCQAL (new block Monday, don't forget!!) I haven't had the time to take pictures of this and post it!

I had started the satin stitching on this one way back in October in the hopes of getting it done before Halloween, but that just did not happen, and then it got shoved to the bottom of the pile because it was a year away before I'd use it.

Rather than leave the project half finished for another six months, once I finished my March wall hangings, I went back to work on this one, and ta-da! It is completed.


(Forgive the abysmal fluorescent lighting!)

For the quilting, I decided to do freeform wiggles horizontally across the piece. I spaced them evenly to start, then started layering until I felt it was dense enough. I am SO happy with the texture and how it turned out. Another new FMQ pattern in the books!


Above is a close up of his face and below is a close up of the front background quilting sections. I quilted it with orange thread on both the front and the back.


The back is scrappy and pieced! Originally, I had planned to use the orange and black print batik on the front, but when I was cutting, it seemed like it had too much orange to be mixed in in the center, and had too much black to be mixed in around the border so it ended up on the back with some other scrappy black and orange pieces.


Here's another shot of the quilting from the back. I just LOVE it.


I used this fun green print for my hanging pockets. I got a fat quarter of it in a swap a while back and had just enough of it to make both pockets.


For the binding, I originally planned to use the black and white squiggle print from the backing, but I didn't have enough BUT I found that I had a bunch of leftover strips of this green tonal botanical print already cut! Hooray!


Linking up with Free Motion Mavericks and Finish it up Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I love this guy! I have a "thing" for October/Halloween themed things (I did the skeleton blocks for QCQAL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! You are so on time with this project!
    I still haven't finish my Easter tablerunner.... some embroidery still to do!
    Your quilt is really fun!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just early for Hallowe'en 2015. Cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt! Great fun for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkins at Easter - hilarious! No you're not late, just incredibly early. You can put this quilt away until autumn, and then get it out and feel all nice and smug.

    Somehow it shows that you had fun making this quilt. There's a lovely flow to the FMQ waves, and it goes really well with the orange and black batik. Perhaps the batik might make it to the front of another quilt...??

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!