I've actually had this done for a few weeks, but with all of the stuff I've had to do prepping for the QCQAL (new block Monday, don't forget!!) I haven't had the time to take pictures of this and post it!
I had started the satin stitching on this one way back in October in the hopes of getting it done before Halloween, but that just did not happen, and then it got shoved to the bottom of the pile because it was a year away before I'd use it.
Rather than leave the project half finished for another six months, once I finished my March wall hangings, I went back to work on this one, and ta-da! It is completed.
(Forgive the abysmal fluorescent lighting!)
For the quilting, I decided to do freeform wiggles horizontally across the piece. I spaced them evenly to start, then started layering until I felt it was dense enough. I am SO happy with the texture and how it turned out. Another new FMQ pattern in the books!
Above is a close up of his face and below is a close up of the front background quilting sections. I quilted it with orange thread on both the front and the back.
The back is scrappy and pieced! Originally, I had planned to use the orange and black print batik on the front, but when I was cutting, it seemed like it had too much orange to be mixed in in the center, and had too much black to be mixed in around the border so it ended up on the back with some other scrappy black and orange pieces.
Here's another shot of the quilting from the back. I just LOVE it.
I used this fun green print for my hanging pockets. I got a fat quarter of it in a swap a while back and had just enough of it to make both pockets.
For the binding, I originally planned to use the black and white squiggle print from the backing, but I didn't have enough BUT I found that I had a bunch of leftover strips of this green tonal botanical print already cut! Hooray!
Linking up with Free Motion Mavericks and Finish it up Friday!