Saturday, March 1, 2014

Finished Citrus Simply Woven Quilt

While this was my February ALYoF goal, it didn't get done until March, but I can totally accept that after waiting until after the 20th to get the last piece for the backing fabric. Next time I need to double check my backing yardage calculations twice before I order.

Here's the pictures from last night when I got all of the quilting finished:



I decided to bind it in the same fabric as the backing, so this morning I machine bound it. This was my first time machine binding a quilt, and it turned out decently well. A few places are a bit wobbly and my corners aren't perfect, but I can always improve!


Here's the backing with the three leftover blocks:


Here it is on the fence at my apartment complex. I got really fancy with these outdoor shots, eh?



Stats:
Blocks: Simply Woven via Moda Bake Shop made by members of the Stash Bee 2013
Background and binding : from Haven's Edge line
Size: 72 by 72 inches
Quilting: meandering loops in white thread
Started: November 2013
Finished: March 1, 2014
Future: picnic blanket -- Park Ranger husband and I are going to have some picnics on this blanket once it warms up.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this is the most complicated looking quilt, and yet the pattern at Moda makes it so much easier to understand. I think I'd really have to concentrate on those perfect ¼-inch seams and sub cutting and all, but I think I can do it. Yours is FANTASTIC! I love it. I think I'd make mine just a bit smaller because I don't think my little Janome could handle the quilting part if it was that large. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing! It must feel so good to have it done and ready for picnicking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! I think those brights might need a second chance at outside once the snow is gone, though - they scream summer (which can't come soon enough this winter ; ) How did you quilt it? Free motion or straight lines? I love machine binding - I use this method: http://wasntquiltinaday.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/quilting-101-machine-binding/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finish! You picked a great fabric for the backing. Have fun with your picnics. It will be warm soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your choice and colors of fabrics are captivating...so bright-yummy-happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is beautiful. I'm a little behind the times and just getting ready to start this quilt using some ombre fabrics from my stash. Hoping it turns out as good in reality as it looks in my imagination! I was wondering how you handled your seam allowances on this quilt if you can remember. Press to one side or another or press open? I can't see that the pattern really addresses that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb -- I can't reply to you by email (you are a no-reply commenter -- fix that here: http://alittlebitofemily.blogspot.com/2017/06/how-to-switch-from-no-reply-blogger-to.html)

      Since my blocks were bee blocks, other people pressed as they desired so I had to just go with however they had made their particular block. If I had to do it all over again, I would press all of the seams open within the blocks. I believe that putting the quilt together I pressed the rows to opposite sides (one row to the right, next row to the left, etc.) and then nested seams for the individual blocks.

      Hope that helps. Email me if you need additional help! littlebunnyquilts@gmail.com

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!