Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Scrappy Sewing {Flannel Burp Cloths}

As I mentioned in some of my recent posts, one of my sewing goals for The Great Stay Home Marathon is reorganizing my sewing room. I use flannel for backing baby quilts, but I often end up with flannel scraps that I don't know what to do with a lot of the time. However, there is another impending baby boom in my circle of friends (four babies between June and November!) I decided to pull out the flannel scraps and make some really simple burp cloths.

There are a lot of different burp cloth tutorials out there and I reviewed quite a few before starting. I ended up making mine slightly smaller to be able to cut more rectangles out of the fabric -- 9.5" x 14" is the final measurement I used.


I did not get overly fancy with contrasting fabric and made each one with the same fabric on both sides. I sewed the rectangles right sides together on three sides, turned it inside out and then top stitched the entire thing to close the final seam.


Out of the first batch of fabric, I made four girly ones and four gender neutral ones. I have a bit more of another grey flannel print to make a few more before all of these babies start showing up.

Happy Tuesday! What are you sewing this week? Are you working on sewing room organization like me?

Our Etsy shop still has plenty of solid fabric in stock if your local quilt store is closed! We are shipping out packages on a regular basis!

3 comments:

  1. What a great use for the extra flannel; I know that they will be appreciated. I'm trying to move some new projects forward while working through some older WIPs myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely! Aren’t we all trying to move things along! Glad you are making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Fun fabrics, too. I made burp clothes for us and friends when we were all in a baby boom--isn't it funny how it really does come in waves? When I was pregnant, I had 4 other friends & family due in the same 6-month time period! And right now I have three friends/coworkers due/born between March & July, with the last baby in my life being more than a year ago. So funny!

    I'm working on a fairly long-term UFO and will likely get the top finished tonight--hooray! Happy sewing to you, Alison!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!