Saturday, June 1, 2019

Christmas Churns {New on Moda Bake Shop!}

I'm excited to share that my newest pattern for Moda Bake Shop has been published! Introducing Christmas Churns!


This is the first time that I've gotten to work with a Lella Boutique line for MBS -- and it did not disappoint! Little Tree is a fun holiday line with beautiful poinsettias! I like that the greens in this line aren't too olive nor too grassy.

The basic block of this quilt is a churn dash, made from strip pieced jelly roll strips and HSTs made from charm squares, centered around a nine-patch. The quilt uses yardage plus one jelly roll and one charm pack -- without a lot of waste!


The sixteen blocks use nearly all of the charm squares, but since there were quite a few leftover full and partial jelly roll strips, I decided that the quilt needed a scrappy piano key border, made from alternating dark and light 4.5" x 2.5" rectangles, most of which were cut from the scraps left over from the churn dash blocks.


I picked out the red and white stripe from the line for my binding and it was a great choice! I picked the green background version of the poinsettia print for the backing. For the quilting, I did a simple stipple to let the fun prints and piecing shine.


(Side note: having a house with a real yard means that I can take some pretty great quilt pictures without having to put shoes on or drive to the park! The freshly stained deck -- thank you, Park Ranger husband! -- is also a great background for quilt pictures too.)


These blocks are 14" finished, and the quilt as designed and made is approximately 68" square with the piano key border. I am reasonably sure that if you had two charm packs instead of one, you could reasonably make a 5x5 block quilt instead of a 4x4 block quilt like mine.


After having no Christmas quilts for a very long time, I now have nearly a half dozen! Now  have one for every chair and two for the couch!


Check out the full pattern on Moda Bake Shop! As always, if you make any of my patterns from MBS, I would love to see them!

Sharing at Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursday! And Brag About Your Beauties too!

12 comments:

  1. I love Churndash quilts. This one is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really pretty quilt. I would definitely like to try to make one. I will look up the pattern at Moda Bake Shop. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how fresh this quilt is! It doesn't scream "Christmas" because of the green tones, yet the motifs are just right for the holidays. Fun pattern, Alison. Congrats on being published on MBS :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt design and the fabric is not so Christmasy that it could not be used more during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! And the colors are great! Christmas-y without being out of place if you don't put it away on December 26th. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! I love Churn Dash blocks, and I love the center on this one! What a great idea. I'd say this is a design that would be gorgeous with holiday fabric, but will work with any fabric...a big win win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your pattern being featured in Moda Bakeshop. The new clors for Christmas are soft and fresh, and different. I like! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great quilt! I love the colours and it's a nice churn dash variation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a beautiful quilt finish and being in the Moda Bake Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute! I like how you added some order to the scrapiness by arranging the churn dash blocks by color diagonally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an adorable quilt, Alison! Great job in designing it. And your photos are tops. I missed it previously, but Michelle over at Bolt & Beauty reposted today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!