Monday, December 10, 2018

Jolly Bar Meringue {New Shortcut Quilt with Fat Quarter Shop!}

Today I am so excited to finally show off this quilt that's been waiting patiently to be premiered!

This is my version of the Fat Quarter Shop's newest shortcut quilt pattern and kit -- Jolly Bar Meringue!


For my version, I picked a Jolly Bar of Sweet Marion by April Rosenthal and used off-white Moda Bella for my background. I've never made this many half-rectangle triangles before (or really ever) so this was a new adventure for me!


It was surprisingly easy to make these units (hooray!) and after making all of my HRTs, I decided that I wanted to put my own "spin" on this quilt -- literally!

Instead of laying out the units in pairs, I decided to arrange my colors into pinwheels!


I just love the combination of florals and geometric prints in this collection!

This was one of my projects from when I went on quilt retreat all the way back in August! The top was finished while I was there.


For the backing and binding, I used a tassel print that I found on sale. You might have seen this fabric featured when I did my "pattern matching for invisible seams" tutorial!



The quilting is one of my go-to motifs -- a meander with daisies. For this quilt, I actually hand stitched the binding to the back.




Check out the free pattern here, the corresponding video here, the Jolly Jabber blog post here, and kit here!

Make sure to check out the other bloggers' posts about their own versions of this quilt!

Afton @ Quilting Mod
Alison @ Little Bunny Quilts (that's me!)
Amy @ Sew Incredibly Crazy
Cynthia @ Quilting is more fun than housework
Hilary @ By Hilary Jordan
Jen @ Heritage Threads
Kairle @ Handcrafted Goodness
Karin @ Blue Pip Designs
Kristin @ Simple. Handmade. Everyday.
Melanie @ A Bit of Scrap Stuff
Melissa @ Happy Quilting
Pat @ Life in the Scrapatch
Sherri @ A Quilting Life
Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts

Quilt Stats:
Name: Jolly Bar Meringue
Pattern: Jolly Bar Meringue from the FQS
Fabrics: Sweet Marion + off white Moda Bella
Quilting: flower meander
Size: 48" square
Started: August 2018
Finished: September 2018

Sharing at Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. That is so much fun - and such a variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you set the blocks, Alison. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pointy pinwheel variation of this fun pattern! I want to make one now :) Did you already have the rectangle ruler when you started stitching this, or did you need to buy it? I have the smaller TriRecs and am pondering whether I want to add the bigger Perfect Rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version is a cut above the rest, Alison! Love the movement of the pinwheels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Love the different styles of pinwheels the jolly bars make. Super fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your spin on the pattern. It looks so different.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!