Monday, October 22, 2018

Baseball Baby Quilts {Tops for Twins}

After what was a momentary lull, I am back to having three baby quilts on my to-do list. The first two are the twin baseball-themed quilts using these fabrics:


I decided to use our new Boot Scootin' Baby pattern for these quilts. This is my first time using this pattern.

I also decided that I didn't need to be fancy with these quilts -- the two tops will be exactly the same.


The number one complaint (if you can even call it a complaint) that we seemed to get about the Ready, Set, Soar pattern is that it doesn't use 2.5" strips. Boot Scootin' Baby does use 2.5" strips so it does have that perk.

I did a lot of chain piecing over the weekend! I was about halfway done with the strip piecing when I snapped this picture.


A reminder -- when you're sewing strip sets, remember to sew with the same fabrics on top or bottom to reduce stretch and wonk! I always sewed with either the yellow or blue print on top and the white or red print on the bottom. My strip set ended up very straight and my selvages lined up well too!


I have both of the strip bases done but I only had time to slice and insert the applique background for one of the two quilts. The quilt is a little long because I used a full width of fabric for my strips instead of trimmed down strips. I'll trim the bottom before I do the quilting so that both quilts are the exact same size.


Now I have to decide what I'll use for the applique section. Part of me wants to move forward and simply add the applique sections and get these finished, but there's also part of me that wants to wait and add the names of the boys once they are born. But that delays quilting, binding, and mailing so I'm going back and forth on what to do.

Happy Monday! Sharing at Linky Tuesday!

5 comments:

  1. I understand the delimma of trying to decide whether to add the boy's names or not. I bet that the right solution will present itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the applique. I made a quilt for a new granddaughter who was to have been born in July (she didn't arrive until August 1) and since they had chosen a name, I got to put it on the front of the quilt. I was just glad that when she was a late arrival they didn't change her patriotic name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could quilt it and add the applique name afterwards. I do that a lot of my table runners. Yes you see the applique stitches on the back but if you use a matching thread and get your tension balanced it isn't bad. I realize it is a personal preference though;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got a good start on the first two baby quilts. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!