Thursday, February 23, 2017

Lilac Lane and Teal Court {RSC 2017}

I got a little bit behind on making my Happy House blocks for my RSC block this year and I finally sat down and got caught up on both purple for January and teal for February.

While I'm still using fabric from my scrap bins for these blocks, they do require slightly larger pieces for my "siding" fabrics, so I actually had to search to find pieces big enough to make a whole house block with my purple fabrics. This is the current state of my purple scrap pile (with iron for scale):


I could fit that into a snack sized zipper bag, ladies. There is hope for the scrap laden and maybe I could get another pile reduced like that over the next year. I had slightly less trouble with picking teal fabrics for houses, but still found that I had mostly small pieces.

I ended up with two purple houses on Lilac Lane and three houses on Teal Court:


One of the reasons I had set this WIP aside is that it requires quite a bit of blue and brown for the sky and the roofs. I had enough scrap for one brown roof and then pulled an older brown fabric from my stash (actually used in this quilt). I found a light blue fabric in my "big scraps" scrap box and used essentially the whole piece to make these five blocks. I'm going to have to either dig deeper into my stash or buy some additional sky blue fabric going forward.

For the doors and windows, I picked fabrics that coordinated and contrasted with my siding fabrics. These pieces each are 2.5 inches wide or tall, so I cut them from my leftover jelly roll strip stash.

Now to wait and see what color Angie picks for March!

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday, Scrap Happy Saturday, and Oh Scrap!

18 comments:

  1. You got some good use of your scraps! The houses are so cute, I like the names of the streets!
    I had scraps filling shoe box sized totes, and I got them down to maybe half full. Then I filled sandwich sized zip lock bags with the tiniest scraps to make some crumb blocks at another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great - the top right one looks victorian to me - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love house blocks and yours are terrific! One of my RSC projects is houses too!! I know what you mean about some larger pieces... My blocks are 16" finished, egad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great house blocks! I love the detail along the roof line, it makes them very charming and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love a good house block, and these are real beauties! (I love them so much that I went and tracked down the pattern!) You're going to have such a happy neighborhood at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some tiny work. You are doing an excellent job with them. I am not ready to do something like that, so I will certainly be enjoying yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful house blocks!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your elegant homes are in a wealthy neighborhood with fancy street names to match. What lovely dormer Windows .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how unique each house is. I look forward to the next "block" of homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your houses are so much fun! I love all the details in them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your houses look like little victorian cottages on a lane. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute houses! I want to live in that neighborhood! Congrats on scrap pile reduction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute house blocks! I love that pattern - it reminds me of New Orleans houses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your idea of a color county of houses (wink). And the houses themselves are just darling (I love that Lori Holt pattern!) Cant wait to see what's up next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is going to be a fun neighborhood when you get all the house blocks completed. Hope you track down some good background scraps!

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got a great start on a very colorful and elegant neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your houses. So, you are planning other streets/colors? What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!