Friday, November 18, 2016

Two Little Firecrackers {Finished}

Today I'm sharing not one, but two finished quilts! Say hello (and goodbye) to my Little Firecrackers, which I have affectionately calling Primary and Secondary based on their color schemes. 

You can click here to see all of the posts on these quilts, but in short, I am making these quilts for the college girls I volunteer with who are both leaving their offices at the end of this semester!

First up: Primary. This fabric pull centered around the primary colors, obviously, but I believe my starting fabric is the yellow background fabric with red roses (I believe it is Lecien). All of these are strip pieced from jelly roll sized strips that I had in my stash. I made 7 strip sets to cut the 100 wedges for this quilt. 


You can check out the Firecrackers pattern at the Fat Quarter Shop and the ruler I used is here. (Not affiliate links!) The only difference is that I used 4 strips for my strip sets instead of 5 and I cut my blocks a half an inch smaller than in the pattern. I was able to stretch my fabric much further this way!


For the quilting on the primary quilt I used a branching curly cue pattern with lots of backstitching to give it a branching effect rather than a chained effect. While the quilting is not terribly dense, the backstitching does require quite a lot of thread!


For the backing I used a 3 yard cut of a flourish strip pattern in navy and green that had been hanging out in my stash for a very, very long time. I had to add a chunk of an old Denyse Schmidt print to avoid overly piecing the back. The binding is a darker red polka dot print with white, tan, and light blue dots.


Next up: Secondary! This one is based around another yellow floral print, but this one had different tones of greens (olives rather than grassy greens, as well as pinks and oranges. I also pulled in some periwinkle and aqua.


I did end up using a few different white/off white fabrics in this one, but they are not as different as this picture might suggest. This is the downside of only having 30 minutes of daylight after I come home from work!


For this quilt I used a meander with little five petaled flowers along the meanders. This one took much less time since it had almost no backstitching!


For the backing on this one, I used a two yard cut of the purple scroll print and the leftover large pieces from the backing of my Starburst quilt. I also used the blue print as the binding. Despite it being a very large scale print, I think the binding isn't dominated by any one color -- with the fabric's pattern, no one section is really sticks out on the binding -- just a great blending of all of the colors and patterns!


I am so happy to have these done and to give them to my girls very soon!

Stats:
Pattern: Firecrackers by It's Sew Emma/Fat Quarter shop (modified)
Size: 55x55

Sharing at Finish it Up Friday! Don't forget to enter my Dreamscape giveaway!

9 comments:

  1. I love these quilts, very scrappy & pretty! The combined white & off whites in the 2nd quilt is very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on two beautiful finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done, worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful gifts for them to bring back to college with them. Both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what beautiful gifts. Lovely job. The colours are so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilts, and lucky daughters! I love the colors and the patterns. Cdahlgren at live dot Com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts turned out beautifully! Congrats on two lovely finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilts! They both turned out beautiful. This whole shorter days things is really making blogging more difficult for sure!

    ReplyDelete