Sometime in the winter of 2014 I recovered it a second time, and didn't actually document it on the blog. The horror! It had begun to shred and fray in some places and a few places the batting had got really squished down. The second time, I didn't piece the cover at all because the seams in the cover were quite annoying on the rare occasion when I ironed clothes. I did an argyle-type diamond pattern of quilting the second time using my walking foot.
It really didn't hold up all that well the second time (maybe because I was sewing more during this time) so this weekend I recovered it with version 3.0 -- again with one solid piece of fabric.
Here's the version 2.0 cover pinned with an additional layer of batting and the new cover as the "backing" -- here you can see how abysmal the cover had gotten! The color fading is/was worse in person!
I did "large matchstick" quilting with my walking foot across the entirety of the cover in brown to match the new fabric I was using.
Here's the cover all trimmed down before the binding was added:
Here's the binding added. I use the pocket created by the double binding to string through my cord to cinch up the cover around my ironing board. I am probably going to replace it with elastic the next time I hit up Joanns.
And here it is all finished!
It's still a little stiff and doesn't want to fully conform to my board yet, but it'll get there!