Friday, May 29, 2015

Finished May Wall Hanging

I'm not doing so great getting these done before their intended month starts, but such is life -- it's much better to have it finished!

I took the advice of a number of you that suggested that the border needed a little bit of something added -- so I went ahead and added the three little bug-a-boos that the pattern has, but didn't do any other decorating.


I outlined the bugs in all black, the flower stems in a medium olive, and the flowers are done in red, orange, or yellow -- but contrasting to whatever color piece of fabric it is outlining.


I added another quilting pattern to my repertoire -- a branching vine and leaves. This isn't quite a "meander" because I basically went across the quilt in diagonal lines of vines and leaves and made the leaves close enough together from neighboring branches to make it look continuous. One thing I found out in the process was that after I quilted the main diagonal vine from bottom right to upper left, it was easy to add additional branches on the right of the original branch, but much more difficult to add branches to the left. I guess it's just a directional thing -- working in one direction on one side and the opposite direction on the other.

Here's my little bug-a-boos and some closer-up shots of the quilting.




For the backing I used a large piece that was hanging out in my stash. I honestly can't tell you what it is nor where I got it, but it works well with this project nonetheless. The binding is the same fabric that I used for the flowers' stems and leaves.


Another one done, and on to the next one -- sort of. I'm not 100% thrilled with the June design from the pattern book (ants and watermelon) so I'm going to skip ahead and work on my July one in the hopes of getting that one done before the 4th of July.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and Free Motion Mavericks!!

Don't forget that the next Row QAL tutorial will be posted on Monday and to follow Honey, Bunny, and Doll on Pinterest!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely wall hanging. The bug-a-boos make it indeed more interesting. I love your quilting and the piced background. The difference in quilting to the right and to the left disappears when you practice a lot on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew cute. I have this group of patterns but have only done one so far so you are way ahead of me....I did the April showers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I specially like the quilting. It gives it such a spring-like feel. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilting! And the little bugs definitely add to the wall hanging, good decision with adding them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison - your monthly wall hangings are so cute! Where can I find these patterns? cknapp3626(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bugs were the right additions. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet quilt. Visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how sweet! I love the little bugs and your quilting is just stunning!! June does sound like a funny topic for a hanging so hopefully July's is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Alison,

    Your wall hangings definitely show your own personal touch - such lively and cheerful designs! The leaves FMQ really adds extra depth and movement.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for your springy finish and for using up some of your stash in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That ladybug makes my heart squeak!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!