Tuesday, August 30, 2011

To sew, or not to sew, that is a SILLY question!

First.

I've had over 100 views on the blog in the less than two weeks that it's been up and running! So exciting.

Although 30% of them are probably me, my mom, and my sister. Also, hit up the comments section! Even if it is to tell me my color choices are silly. Holla!

Second.

My research is WORKING. For the first time since, oh, I started grad school. Well, not exactly at the moment because I'm trying to fix all my apparatuses (apparati? whatever.) today. Nanoparticles are fussy little buggers.

Third.

I am a huge fan of the disappearing nine patch. I did as directed with 6 inch blocks rather than 5 inch, and sewed 9 blocks in 3 rows of 3, but if I was ever going to do this with a less scrappy quilt, I would definitely strip piece it. Forget randomness. I'm seriously in love with strip piecing.

These are the squares of the 8 fabrics that I am using. The reds, blues, the swirly yellow, and dark brown were all fat quarters that I got on SALE at JoAnn's. The leafy yellow and swirly tan are cut from full yard pieces from my most recent purchase from fabric.com. I think my favorite is the blue and brown print. What about you?


And here are a few nine patch blocks all sewn together... and cut up!

And the way that you twist the blocks around makes it look rather fancy:



There is a whole lot of color going on here, and I'm not quite sure whether to try to tone it down or to just go for it. I'm thinking just go for it! This is supposed to be a FUN quilt. I still have 5 more nine patches to sew together and cut apart.

So far, I am a big fan. What new blocks and/or patterns have you tried lately?

And then will be the fun part of trying to fit everything together without the same colors touching too much. That's when my over-particular (read: anal) self wins out.

Happy Tuesday, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this pattern as well. It looks quite fun. What size are your finished blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Including seam allowances:

    Your nine patch is 17 inches square
    After cutting, each quarter is 8 and a half inches, so finished it is an 8 inch block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The number one thing I am excited about is the minimal corner matching. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...