Friday, February 16, 2018

Four Square Mini Quilt {Mini Madness with Island Batik}

February is all about minis for us Island Batik Ambassadors and since February is all about love, I thought I would make another pink mini!


I decided to use our Four Square block pattern to make a mini similar to my sister's mini using some of the fabrics from the Elementz 10" square stacker that I received from Island Batik in my newest shipment! This pattern is designed to make efficient use of 10" squares so it's perfect for this fabric.

I pulled out some of the pink and black/grey fabrics, staying with the Valentine's Day theme this week! Since the fabrics come in pairs, I pulled two different pink prints (four squares total) and two different black/grey prints (four squares total) for the four blocks.


Here's the first set of pink and black fabrics cut for a pair of Four Square blocks:


Here's my first block trimmed:


These blocks go together quite quickly -- especially when you make them in pairs!


I used two more pink 10" squares to cut 1.5" wide sashings and used the black scraps to cut corners tones for the mini top.


I decided to go a little wild with the backing -- I pulled six additional 10" squares from the Elementz stacker to make a pieced backing echoing my Four Square blocks. These are the brightest fabrics from the bunch!


For the quilting, I did a flower-type filler motif with the "base" of the flower as an oval or teardrop instead of a circle or a swirl. I used one of the light grey threads provided by Aurifil in my Island Batik Ambassador box and it was a great choice! I like the way that it contrasts both the pink and the black in the mini quilt top.



I used a hot pink fabric for binding (and was able to bust out some hot pink thread too!) and now this mini is hung up on our office/den/guest room/sewing room door!


Even thought we're past Valentine's Day, I'm going to be leaving this pretty little thing up until March! Click on over to Craftsy to pick up the Four Square pattern for yourself!

Quilt Stats:
Name: Love Four Square
Pattern: Four Square block by HBD, set with 1.5 inch strips
Fabrics: Elementz by Island Batik (provided by IB in my Ambassador box!)
Quilting: Flowery filler (inspired by this pin) with grey Aurifil 40 weight thread (provided by Aurifil in my Ambassador box!)
Size: 20.5 inches square
Binding: Machine binding using a hot pink IB fabric
Started & Finished: February 2018
Future: Mini quilt for my sewing room door

Sharing at Finish it up Friday!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome quilt! Is your sister an ambassador, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! And I love how bright and different the backing is to the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat block! It looks great in pink and gray. I love that you echoed the main block shape on the back, but with wildly different colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love pink and black/grey :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so lovely! I love the mini quilt, the pink and dark gray colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! And come March, you can just flip it over and use the other side! It's definitely reversible with all those fun, bright fabrics on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the black and pink together. The bright back is fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!