Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Quilt As You Go {Easy Peasy Picnic Quilt}

I decided to change my mind completely about what I was going to do to make my Island Batik Ambassador project for this month. That's my prerogative, right?


Instead of trying to overdo it with a technique I have never used before, I decided to go sweet and simple. I'm super happy with the fact that this took less than 4 hours start to finish!

To start off, I cut a piece of scrap batting to approximately 40 inches by 45 inches -- slightly larger than what I wanted my finished piece to be. I pieced what I'll call "the backing" from a half yard cut, two quarter yard cuts, and one 5 inch wide strip for a backing approximately 38 inches wide by 44 inches long.

Here are the batting and the "backing" layered together:


To piece the "top" I decided that I would alternate between 5 inch strips and 2.5 inch strips. I tried to use fabrics that were rich earth tones.


I started by laying my first 5 inch strip across the batting at a diagonal. I chose to do this at a diagonal rather than parallel or perpendicular to the lines of my backing so that I didn't have to worry about making sure things lined up on both sides.


The center was a little awkward to wrangle, but the more strips that I added the easier it got!


It was no time at all until I had reached the corners and the light at the end of the tunnel!


The corner pieces could be significantly shorter, so I was able to use some smaller scraps as well. Here's the "top" all finished:


Here's the back after finishing the top:


I actually used the "back" to trim the quilt top to make sure that I didn't trim too large or too small.



I machine bound this little quilt with purple strips left over from another project.



This little quilt measures 36 x 42!

Sharing at Linky Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. 4 hours from start to finish? That's awesome! I love the tip about trimming from the back of the quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, that is basically what I am doing flip and stitch....great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out wonderful! This is a great technique if you need a quick baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and simple quilt, really shows off the pretty Island Batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! It is so pretty and I love that it was simple to make. It would make a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I love all the tree and leaf motifs in this fabric and that you used pieces large enough to really highlight that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!