Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Little Spring Splendor {Top and Tips}

After sharing about my baby-sized Spring Splendor project last week, I hustled this weekend and got the entire top completed and ready to quilt! Here are the four individual blocks:





As you can see in these blocks, I used four different blue and green fabrics for my "lozenge" pieces, an orange/gold for the accent color, and then the four patches within each block match. In the original Spring Splendor Quilt, all of her four patches were scrappy, rather than matching within the same block. Just a fun way to change up a pattern and give it your own twist!

Here's the top pre- pieced border:


...and post pieced border:


As I noted in my previous post, I decided to make the pieced border 4.5 inches wide rather than 6.5 inches wide as in the original pattern. Part of this was a scaling decision -- smaller quilt, smaller border. Part of this was making sure that the quilt was small enough to back with a single width of fabric -- this top is 40 inches square.

I'm planning to back this with blue flannel (so many snuggles!) and bind with the royal blue fish fabric, since I still have lots of it! Don't forget our Kona special is still going strong!

Sharing at Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, and WIPs with Friends!

12 comments:

  1. So cute. Love the colors and secondary design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors. Thank you for sharing the changes you made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came together beautifully! Keeping it just small enough to be backed by a yard of fabric is very smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute block. Love the fabrics you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty colors! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the swirly blue fabric you used as the common background! Always fun to see an interesting "neutral" like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabric palette and the quilt design. They look fantastic all put together. --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alison, what a lovely quilt. I love the border! It's going to be so nice and cuddly with the flannel backing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those color combos and that piano sashing wow.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very fast and fun finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty and the colours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The border is a nice scale and accents the blue in the blocks well. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!