Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Coast to Coast Traveling Bee {Month #5}

It's hard to believe that this is the last quilt that I will work on for this bee and that I will get my quilt back soon! This month I was working on a quilt for Audrey of Hot Pink Quilts. She's the one who actually organized our little bee and she has been one of my BBF (best blogging friends) since probably 2012!

Here is what her quilt looked like when it arrived to me:


At the last stop, Susan added the snail tail and New York beauty border around the quilt top. The top measures 62.5 inches long and 64.5 inches wide. Instead of adding a full border around the entire quilt, I decided that I would add a wider strip at the top and the bottom of the quilt so that it would be approximately twin size when it gets back to Audrey.

I decided that I wanted to make a variety of star blocks in a variety of sizes. Here's the design mock-up that I originally sent to Audrey:


The largest star blocks are 12" blocks that were included as part of my QCQAL from 2014, other than the Ohio Star. You can get the entire pattern from Craftsy, but you can also see the original tutorials here on my blog:
After shorting through all of my fabrics that fit Audrey's color scheme, I started by cutting all of the pieces for my 12" blocks.


I first made the two Ohio star blocks and two Nested Friendship stars.


Then came the two Martha Washington Stars and the two Missouri Stars.


Next came eight 6" sawtooth stars.


Finally, I made six 4" friendship stars. Here are the two rows completed before they were attached to the quilt:


And drumroll please, the entire quilt ready to be sent back to Audrey!


As with all of the quilts/block sets in this bee, I am tempted to keep it for myself! But seeing the previews of my quilt in progress is very exciting! Check out what Susan has been working on to add to my quilt:


Have a wonderful Wednesday! Sharing at Let's Bee SocialNeedle and Thread Thursday, and Finished or not Friday!

8 comments:

  1. The quilts have been so amazing to watch as they progress, and I love how large they are turning out! I'm excited to see how yours finishes when it is returned to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in this one are so pretty! I would have a hard time sending it back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful! It's so exciting to watch a quilt come to life, block by block. When do you get your own back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I really like your stars, and that was a great idea to make it twin sized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is full of yumminess! Stars are a favorite of mine and that star that is being made for your quilt is just WOW!! I bet you can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! I'm excited to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! The star within a star is my favorite block in the row. It looks like the forest is floating on a field of stars. She's so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the heart eyes - both for Audrey's quilt (gorgeous additions!) and what's in the works for yours... Looking forward to the next update!
    E xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!