For the Summer Solstice QAL with Melissa at Happy Quilting, this week we made all of our Drunkard's Path blocks. I've done some curved piecing before (in my NY Beauty quilt) but this was all 3.5 inch unfinished blocks! For my quilt, I needed to make 16 green/magenta units and 32 magenta/black print units. Here are my finished units:
These curves were SO EASY to put together and there was minimal waste. Melissa's cutting instructions and templates made it so that the waste you had was just about as small as it could be -- hooray! I ended up with a lot of extra arcs and edge pieces because of the color arrangement in my quilt, but I think I will be able to make a table runner or something similar with the extras. Next week, we'll be putting our blocks together!
This month's assignment for the Meadow Mystery QAL with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs was to do all of the basic cutting for the quilts -- which right now is all squares, rectangles, and strips. Check out how my fabrics all chopped up:
Since I had enough (more than enough!) fabric, I did the optional step of cutting the squares that will be used for triangle units with an extra 1/4 added on. Hopefully this will mean all of my units will be gorgeous! Next month we start sewing -- hooray!
Sharing at Sew Cute Tuesday and Fabric Tuesday!